Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia has already released web drivers for Mojave long time ago but Apple is holding the release. Nvidia web drivers need signature from apple to release and Lord Apple can hold for months or forever as they did with high sierra web drivers. Apple is holding these web drivers updates so people are forced to buy Mac hardware instead of custom builts.

UPDATE 2 : Metal 2(Similar to DirectX12 on Windows) is replacing the OpenGL on MacOS. So in future, you can expect gaming performance of MacOS equivalent to windows. So Apple is going to push Mac lineup even more aggressively in future.

WorkAround : To run your "high sierra web drivers" on Mojave use this but hardware acceleration is missing.
https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update.

It doesn't only hurts CustoMac users, but hurts real Mac users who use eGPU

It doesn't only hurts CustoMac users, but hurts real Mac users who use eGPU
Indeed it does!
I have Hak with GTX1070 and MBP + GTX1060 as eGPU.
While I still have High Sierra on Hak, I was stupid enough to update MBP and now I don't have GPU acceleration from eGPU...

I don't even understand NVidia's dev post about should Apple want help our engineers are eager to help. Did Apple ask for 10xx help? NVidia released those drivers as far as I know without any support from Apple. Definitely feels like no one is really taking ownership of NVidia drivers for 10xx/20xx and NVidia's admittedly unofficial post seems to only confuse the matter. I feel like NVidia's products are superior from a dollar per performance and watt per performance perspective, but the lack of true driver support certainly makes it painful. For now I have mojave using intel iGPU graphics on one drive and high sierra using web drivers on another drive and I'm mainly using HS. But if this goes on for 6 months without news I'll consider getting an RX580.

Just changed out my Gigabyte G1 GTX970 for an AMD Asus ROG Radeon RX 580 Strix Top 8GB.

I removed the Nvidia drivers, updated my Clover config to remove the NvidiaWeb flag and now I'm on Mojave and everything is working great!

I'll think twice about buying an Nvidia card next time... Support in High Sierra was terrible too, my Hackintosh lagged so much when I tried to upgrade to High Sierra that I decided to roll back to Sierra and leave it that way. I upgraded straight from Sierra to Mojave after getting my AMD card.

I'm happy with the change, just thought I'd post in case a few others are thinking of changing to an AMD card, it was relatively easy...

I admire your patience.

Hopefully, the mining craze doesn’t take off again and drive RX 580 prices to $500 again. Now is the time to buy a graphics card of any color or flavor.

@hackNneddy I'm also tired of this web driver mess after any update, so I've found a good offer for a new Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse (377,00 EUR) and ordered one, will be delivered today. I'll sell my existing MSI GTX 970 card and thus save a third of the price for the new card by selling the old one.

I've already updated to Mojave so I wanted to ask you all what do I have to do now when I'll swap the graphic cards today. Is there something mandatory to be done, or it will work oob?

@hackNneddy I'm also tired of this web driver mess after any update, so I've found a good offer for a new Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 Pulse (377,00 EUR) and ordered one, will be delivered today. I'll sell my existing MSI GTX 970 card and thus save a third of the price for the new card by selling the old one.

I've already updated to Mojave so I wanted to ask you all what do I have to do now when I'll swap the graphic cards today. Is there something mandatory to be done, or it will work oob?

Just swap out the cards. Uninstall the Nvidia web drivers and Cuda if you like.

I did just that, but it won't work. It boots with the apple logo, loads half the way, then the monitor is going into sleep mode, and that would be all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back