Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, ended up getting the RX 580 after all. Installed lilu+whatevergreen to bring the bit depth back down from 30 to 24. BruceX times have a major improvement vs the 1060, as expected.

Only issue so far is with monitor rotation. Two of my three monitors are rotated 90 degrees, and macOS gets confused about how to draw them... it displays the mouse cursor and reads inputs with the proper 90-degree rotation, but the actual pixels on the screen are not rotated at all... just a letterboxed crop of the 1080x1920 space. Re-rotating in System Preferences seems to fix it (fixing one monitor also fixes the other automatically), but it's a bit hard to do when the cursor inputs and the rest of the GUI are perpendicular to each other. I tried the -raddvi boot flag, to no avail.

For anyone who want's to follow the thread below, post#8 - Tom K from nVidia - was nice enough to respond "No release date" but the fact that he answered a post from Developers we can assume something is being worked on! In the mean time, I'll keep waiting!

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/...-drivers-be-released-for-macos-mojave-10-14-/
Nvidia better hurry up with these web drivers or there won’t be any customers left to use them.

It goes beyond impatience. Nvidia web drivers were garbage throughout High Sierra. They went from a year of garbage drivers to no drivers.
Another Nvidia guy is quoted at MacRumor's Frequently Asked Nvidia... > https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...graphics-cards.1440150/page-191#post-26679949
Did you see this message from NVIDIA on devtalk.nvidia.com :

ThomasK@Nvidia said:Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. But if Apple allows, our engineers are ready and eager to help Apple deliver great drivers for Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave).

Thanks Tom for clearifying; So this means there's NO WEB DRIVERS FOR MOJAVE

Another Nvidia guy is quoted at MacRumor's Frequently Asked Nvidia... > https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...graphics-cards.1440150/page-191#post-26679949

Yeah. As I stated here, the way I translate that message is:
  1. There are no Mojave drivers right now.
  2. They need help to make the drivers.
  3. They are still in the process of trying to get assistance from Apple.
Therefore, all the speculation that the drivers were ready and it was just a matter of Apple not signing them have been completely smashed.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 10.24.52 AM.png

Source: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042279/?comment=5286813

Just gonna put this here

But hey, throw away your Nvidia GPUs for the RX 580, or Vega chips.

My happy butt, who actually likes good performance, will stay on 10.13.6 until we have Nvidia drivers, and, if we don't get a drivers, I'll still stay on 10.13.6 until AMD can make something that can ACTUALLY compete.

Rumor have it AMD has big plans for 2019. Other rumors say MAYBE something end of 2018. I'll believe it when I see it.

Heck! I bet we get 2080 Ti support before we see something from AMD that can even compete with 1080 Ti, let alone the 2080Ti.

Attachments

• amd1.jpg
    amd1.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 346
  • amd2.jpg
    amd2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Just gonna put this here

But hey, throw away your nvidia gpus for the 580, or vega chips.

My happy butt who actually likes good performance will stay on 10.13.6 until we have a web driver, and if we don't get a web driver, i'll still stay on 10.13.6 until AMD can make something that can ACTUALLY compete.

Rumor has it AMD has big plans for 2019, other rumor mills say MAYBE something end of 2080, i'll believe it when I see it.

Heck I bet we get 2080ti support before we see something from AMD that can even compete with 1080ti, let alone 2080ti

What benchmarks are these? It just says relative performance... Relative to what?

If we are just cherry picking benchmarks, here are a few for you to digest. Btw, at this point, even an RX 560 will out perform a GTX 1080 Ti or RTX 2080 Ti in Mojave.
Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 11.50.42 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 11.51.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 11.52.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-20 at 11.55.17 PM.png

Source:

Last edited:
You could record those various actions in an automator script, lauched at startup. I did so to unmount Windows related hard drives and it works great.

Unplugging and re-plugging one of the affected monitors seems to fix the rotation issue... one of them even has a port saver on it as well, so no harm in doing that once per boot.

Just gonna put this here

But hey, throw away your nvidia gpus for the 580, or vega chips.

My happy butt who actually likes good performance will stay on 10.13.6 until we have a web driver, and if we don't get a web driver, i'll still stay on 10.13.6 until AMD can make something that can ACTUALLY compete.

Rumor has it AMD has big plans for 2019, other rumor mills say MAYBE something end of 2018, i'll believe it when I see it.

Heck I bet we get 2080ti support before we see something from AMD that can even compete with 1080ti, let alone 2080ti
I don’t personally do or check for benchmarks. I only do real life situations. And for almost the same price, the RX580 performs better for me than the 1050ti after testing both.

I wanted great performance for my video editing on a budget, while being Hackintosh friendly, while allowing me to have the latest OS updates, and that’s what I am getting with AMD.

And who said anything about throwing Nvidia cards away? After various testing of both cards for my enjoyment, I may decide to keep both or sell the Nvidia one. You may be ok staying in High Sierra, but I have been waiting for dark mode (migraines) for ages on both Windows and Mac. Plus I love working with the latest OS.

Last edited:
FCPX won't work without acceleration.

Are AMD cards hard to use with a hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back