Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know if the GT740 SC is supported in High Sierra? I have heard that I won't need web drivers as it is natively supported. i have also heard it is natively supported in Mojave. Any help to verify this information is greatly appreciated.

That's a Kepler card and, yes, There's native macOS support for Kepler.

I'm in the same boat with my watercooled 1080ti... And I don't have the courage to replace it yet, mostly because it means rebuilding the loop.
Would it be stupid to buy, for example, a cheap used GTX 770, put it in the second PCIE slot to test Mojave and wait a few months for Nvidia to make a move? I don't need 3D power under OSX, this card was for Win10 gaming but I have 2 "2560x1440" monitors (one is a Cintiq) and the HD4600 IGPU is a bit laggy.

Last edited:
That's a Kepler card and, yes, There's native macOS support for Kepler.
In mojave as well? When I boot from my USB to install, will I have to have any extra kexts for the GT 740 or just plug the card and play it?

In mojave as well? When I boot from my USB to install, will I have to have any extra kexts for the GT 740 or just plug the card and play it?

No need for extra kexts. It will use drivers built-in to macOS. Mojave still has support for Kepler.

@pastrychef,

Thanks for your very informative post, temps and with it fan noise have always been a problem on my main video editing rig, in the last major update that i did some 4 to 5 years ago i decided to go with AIO CPU cooler and a Hybrid Water cooled GPU. Both GPU and CPU never get over 60 degrees C at full load, my i7 4590K is over clocked to 4.5Ghz at stock voltage and is rock solid. I too only use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut its great stuff worth at least -10 degrees compared to stock or cheaper thermal paste.

Ever since then I've been a big fan of AIO CPY & GPU cooling solutions, custom water cooling looks good but its not for me ... the AIO solutions are factory sealed and just work without having to worry about leaks and filling .. etc. I don't care what the system looks like on the inside, I really cant understand this RGB lighting and glass sided cases fad ..

I'll take on board your advice .... I think Nvidia have had enough chances so it's time to switch to the red team (thanks for confirmation of the UI stuttering) ... I live in the UK so Vega prices are a bit random, widely there are a few places selling Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 cards at £488 including tax which is less that what other places are selling Vega 56 cards for ?

Its tempting to get one those and fit a AIO Vega water cooling kit to it ... which would still be cheaper than a second hand OEM liquid cooled Vega 64 which seem to be going for around £600 on eBay.

I just need to work out how i'm going to finance it ... The GTX 980-Ti is only worth around £300 tops used so will probably hang on to it for a future windows system.

Cheers
Jay

@pastrychef,

Thanks for your very informative post, temps and with it fan noise have always been a problem on my main video editing rig, in the last major update that i did some 4 to 5 years ago i decided to go with AIO CPU cooler and a Hybrid Water cooled GPU. Both GPU and CPU never get over 60 degrees C at full load, my i7 4590K is over clocked to 4.5Ghz at stock voltage and is rock solid. I too only use Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut its great stuff worth at least -10 degrees compared to stock or cheaper thermal paste.

Ever since then I've been a big fan of AIO CPY & GPU cooling solutions, custom water cooling looks good but its not for me ... the AIO solutions are factory sealed and just work without having to worry about leaks and filling .. etc. I don't care what the system looks like on the inside, I really cant understand this RGB lighting and glass sided cases fad ..

I'll take on board your advice .... I think Nvidia have had enough chances so it's time to switch to the red team (thanks for confirmation of the UI stuttering) ... I live in the UK so Vega prices are a bit random, widely there are a few places selling Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 cards at £488 including tax which is less that what other places are selling Vega 56 cards for ?

Its tempting to get one those and fit a AIO Vega water cooling kit to it ... which would still be cheaper than a second hand OEM liquid cooled Vega 64 which seem to be going for around £600 on eBay.

I just need to work out how i'm going to finance it ... The GTX 980-Ti is only worth around £300 tops used so will probably hang on to it for a future windows system.

Cheers
Jay

If you do end up going with a water cooling solution, the Vega temps or noise should not be a concern at all.

If/when you are ready to tweak the card or if you stay with air cooling, use the VGTab utility.

All I needed is WhateverGreen and Lilu which I already had from my previous High Sierra. And of course setting the IGPU as my Initial Display in BIOS. HD630 works great.
I want to kiss you. Finally have a working display until the drivers come out. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back