Contribute
Register

Nvidia Drivers for Mojave 10.14 Not Available, no WorkAround works well

Status
Not open for further replies.
@frankcesco,

Nvidia 780 uses the Nvidia Kepler chipset which is supported in Mojave by an Apple driver, hence the reason it works, no need for the WebDriver (it is probably doing nothing in this case)

NvidiaGraphicsFixup is depreciated and will cause issues/conflicts if used in-conjunction with WhatEverGreen use one or the other not both ... suggest you just use the latest WhateverGreen kext.

See the Preliminary section in the official WEG guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-intel-framebuffer-patching-using-whatevergreen.256490/

Cheers
Jay

Ok I understood, but the card didn’t work before applying the whatevergreen Kext . So do you think that does it solved some issues? While the Nvidia web driver actually didn’t anything?

I would like to test cuda today too.

Ok I understood, but the card didn’t work before applying the whatevergreen Kext . So do you think that does it solved some issues? While the Nvidia web driver actually didn’t anything.

Yes .... WhatEverGreen allows the 780 GPU card to work with Apple's stock Nvidia drivers ...

It's a similar methodology to how we use an enabler kext to allow us to use Apples WiFi Airport driver on non Apple WiFi cards....as long as a devices chipset is the same generation as that used by a genuine Apple device it is usually possible to spoof that device via injection of properties so that Apples device driver kext's see the device as it would in a genuine Mac.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Yes .... WhatEverGreen allows the 780 GPU card to work with Apple's stock Nvidia drivers ...

It's a similar methodology to how we use an enabler kext to allow us to use Apples WiFi Airport driver on non Apple WiFi cards....as long as a devices chipset is the same generation as that used by a genuine Apple device it is usually possible to spoof that device via injection of properties so that Apples device driver kext's see the device as it would in a genuine Mac.

Cuda should work fine, it a totally separate architecture and does not need the Nvidia WebDriver installed, just down load the Cuda driver from the Nvidia website and install it.

Cheers
Jay

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042279/cuda-10-and-macos-10-14/

@mljubek,

Thanks for the update ... I was not aware of that, so thanks for brining it to my attention.
All the more reason for Nvidia users to stick with High Sierra for the foreseeable future.

I must admit that I am a little surprised by this, I would have thought that Nvidia would have at least made an effort to release a working cuda driver for the genuine Mac's that have Nvidia Fermi and Kepler GPU's that are supported by Mojave.

It raises an important question though .... if Apples proprietary Metal 2 API proves to be more efficient and better optimised for managing compute processes on GPU's I wonder if Cuda has any future at all on MacOS ? .... If companies like Adobe decide to migrate to using Metal 2 then Nvidia will be put in a difficult position with really only two possible outcomes ...

1, Nvidia release an all new, fully optimised Metal 2 web driver unlocking the full potential of Nvidia products on MacOS, this is the outcome that we all want, however such a project would require Nvidia to work closely with Apple, something that may be difficult given that the relationship between the two companies has not been great in recent years. If they are planning on going this route it's likely that the project could take a Year or so ...

2. Since a Metal 2 driver will only be of use on MacOS it will share no commonality with any of their other OS drivers, meaning that they would have to dedicate resources to software development and support so they may choose to abandon Nvidia support for MacOS Mojave and future macOS releases and leave the sector to AMD which is Apples favoured GPU solution. MacOS accounts for less than 5% of Nvidia sales so looking at it from a purely business perspective it would not make a lot of sense.

Hopefully Nvidia will release an official statement on what they intend to do in the near future, that way we can make a decision as to stick with team green or jump ship to team red.

Cheers
Jay

UPDATE : Nvidia have already released web drivers for Mojave months ago but Apple is holding the release. Nvidia web drivers need signature from apple for release and Lord Apple can hold for months or forever as they did with high sierra web drivers.

F.... Apple... :banghead: And I was blaming Nvidia...

F.... Apple... :banghead: And I was blaming Nvidia...

Since the Web Drivers aren't part of macOS nor are released through the Mac App Store, it doesn't depend on Apple.
Apple engineers could help Nvidia to get better result but Nvidia can release packages without Apple.

I got tired of waiting for NVidia so I ordered an AMD RX 580 to move forward. I hope they and Apple can get their act together to support older Macs and us "Hackintoshers" lol

Blame apple or blame Nvidia. It doesn’t make any sense to not have Nvidia drivers ready to roll since the beta of mojave has been out for months. Business is business - companies need to get over their personal differences. I ordered a gx560. Look for a good deal on my gt1030 on eBay.

Since the Web Drivers aren't part of macOS nor are released through the Mac App Store, it doesn't depend on Apple.
Apple engineers could help Nvidia to get better result but Nvidia can release packages without Apple.

I don't think you read the quote in my post.

"Nvidia have already released web drivers for Mojave months ago but Apple is holding the release. Nvidia web drivers need signature from apple for release and Lord Apple can hold for months or forever as they did with high sierra web drivers."

It's an Apple mistake!

I don't think you read the quote in my post.

"Nvidia have already released web drivers for Mojave months ago but Apple is holding the release. Nvidia web drivers need signature from apple for release and Lord Apple can hold for months or forever as they did with high sierra web drivers."

It's an Apple mistake!

Yes, it was a reply to you and who wrote the sentence you quoted.
There isn't any verified source as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back