1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
At what point in the year, if any, should we give up waiting and just replace the video card?

Any guesses? Thoughts?

I lost all hope for Nvidia when they couldn't get the UI lag fixed from 10.13.0-10.13.3 and gave no comments on whether they were even working on the problem. That was almost a year ago. My Vega 56 and RX 560 have both been buttery smooth.

Motherboard
Aorus Z370 Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Unfortunately I am not about to give up my Nvidia card. I do a lot of gaming so I would prefer to stick to Nvidia. As far as the Mac goes, it is starting to get really annoying. I've been looking for a practical way to use multiple cards, but with my multi-monitor setup it isn't so easy.

I am honestly more likely to just go back to being a Windows user, stick to High Sierra for the foreseeable future, or buy a Mac mini (not looking forward to that option).

I just wish there was some actual work around other than buying AMD cards.

onx

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
CPU
Intel Core Skylake i7 - 6700K
Graphics
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8G G5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Unfortunately I am not about to give up my Nvidia card. I do a lot of gaming so I would prefer to stick to Nvidia. As far as the Mac goes, it is starting to get really annoying. I've been looking for a practical way to use multiple cards, but with my multi-monitor setup it isn't so easy.

I am honestly more likely to just go back to being a Windows user, stick to High Sierra for the foreseeable future, or buy a Mac mini (not looking forward to that option).

I just wish there was some actual work around other than buying AMD cards.
It's not the solution but I use dual boot system: OS X (with iGPU) and Win10 with NVIDIA. The last one is only for gaming.

It's not the solution if you would like to render something but what to do man :( I feel bad when tried to use Adobe AE in Windows

Motherboard
Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH-Clover
CPU
i7-9750H
Graphics
UHD 630, 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
It's not the solution but I use dual boot system: OS X (with iGPU) and Win10 with NVIDIA. The last one is only for gaming.

It's not the solution if you would like to render something but what to do man :( I feel bad when tried to use Adobe AE in Windows
I don't know about AfterEffects, but Adobe Premiere Pro works great in my Hackintosh, with the Radeon RX580 8GB. When color grading or during effects/transitions and during exports, the AMD card is used in full in macOS. I'm getting almost realtime exports, and I have no lag during playback (talking about Full resolution, without proxies, 4K drone videos).

I don't game so I can't speak for that, but switching to AMD was the best thing I've done for my Hackintosh. I don't even use Windows anymore for my work (or for any other reason for that matter).

It feels great not having to worry about buggy drivers (or non-existent) with every single update.

onx

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)
CPU
Intel Core Skylake i7 - 6700K
Graphics
Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 580 8G G5
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I don't know about AfterEffects, but Adobe Premiere Pro works great in my Hackintosh, with the Radeon RX580 8GB. When color grading or during effects/transitions and during exports, the AMD card is used in full in macOS. I'm getting almost realtime exports, and I have no lag during playback (talking about Full resolution, without proxies, 4K drone videos).

I don't game so I can't speak for that, but switching to AMD was the best thing I've done for my Hackintosh. I don't even use Windows anymore for my work (or for any other reason for that matter).

It feels great not having to worry about buggy drivers (or non-existent) with every single update.
It's not about performance at all. I'm sure there are almost the same gpu from both manufacturers.
It's about few hundred bucks :)

Motherboard
Asrock Fatality Z270 ITX ac
CPU
i5-7600
Graphics
Radeon Pro WX 4100
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
I wish it was as simple as switching to AMD in my case. Unfortunately I'd need a half height and single slot card to fit my tiny case. Full height single slot will fit in a pinch, but airflow is negatively affected making the system run hot and loud.

I have looked at compatible AMD cards, but I haven't seen one fitting the above requirements that would also be an upgrade on my GT710. Annoyingly, I have just sitting on my desk a half height/single slot GT 1030 that'd be so perfect for this build if ever a driver gets released.

Motherboard
Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH-Clover
CPU
i7-9750H
Graphics
UHD 630, 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I wish it was as simple as switching to AMD in my case. Unfortunately I'd need a half height and single slot card to fit my tiny case. Full height single slot will fit in a pinch, but airflow is negatively affected making the system run hot and loud.

I have looked at compatible AMD cards, but I haven't seen one fitting the above requirements that would also be an upgrade on my GT710. Annoyingly, I have just sitting on my desk a half height/single slot GT 1030 that'd be so perfect for this build if ever a driver gets released.

This is why for work I always get the huge ATX cases / motherboards. I can always upgrade to any card I want (not to mention I have a gozillion SATA/SSD/M.2 drives connected as well).

I don't know, I was never attracted to small factor PCs. For me it's either a laptop or a big tower.

Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 5070
CPU
I7-9700
Graphics
HD630, WX4100
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

I have a half height single slot AMD card in my system, Radeon Pro WX4100

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have a half height single slot AMD card in my system, Radeon Pro WX4100

How is the performance of that card? Have you run any GPU benchmarks with it? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.