- Jun 23, 2022
- Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
- i7 2700K
Thanks so much! I built this computer over 10 years ago and haven't fussed with any of the software for at least 7 (rock solid machine), so I have forgotten all the maintenance tricks/ hacks. Thanks so much for chiming in.
"nv_disable=1" got my desktop to boot but with a 1280x1024 stretched resolution! Yea! So at least I can stop panicking now and try a few things:
1. There is a security update I have not done yet "2019-005 10.12.6" - should I proceed with update?
2. When I go into the system prefs, I get this error when trying the Cuda and Nvidia driver manager "To use this preference pane, system preferences must quit and reopen" When I hit okay, it reboots sys prefs and asks again, starting an endless loop.
3. I tried an old backup drive that had Yosemite installed for this machine and it seemed to boot up just fine.
I encountered the same garbled graphics and issues:
1. I applied the security update but encountered some issues that were resolved with also updating Lilu.kext to the latest version (https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/lilu.498/).
2. I continued to encounter the same issue in system prefs
I used Dayo's script / Stage 1 approach (https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e.2346445/page-19?post=31170583#post-31170583) and was able to install the latest Nvidia web drivers for Sierra (378.05.05.25f19) and CUDA drivers (patched with the script to remove the certificates) but unfortunately I still get the garbled graphics. Part of the approach requires you to boot into safe mode (-x flag in Clover) but for some reason I wasn't able to so I've only tried the approach in Normal boot mode but with no Internet connection as instructed. Note: I have not tried the suggested Stage 2 approach due to security concerns.
If Nvidia were able to released new signed web drivers for Sierra - 378.05.05.25f19, then it should work without requiring us to update to High Sierra.