Contribute
Register

NVIDIA Driver certificate revoked

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you value your system, data and your identity, DON'T DO IT
The bottom line to this whole certificate revocation issue:

Stop using Nvidia cards that require Nvidia Web drivers. Just not worth it. Many better options are available.

For any one still running MacOS Sierra :

If you are already running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6, then the RX 560 / RX 570 / RX 580 graphics cards should work. I am using a RX 580 on my first and second systems to run MacOS Sierra / High Sierra / Mojave / Catalina.

So if you want to continue running MacOS Sierra and prefer using a discrete graphics card then I recommend removing your Nvidia card and getting one of the above cards (second hand only).

Much to my amazement, NVIDIA has replied with a solution to a user who contacted them about this issue. I guess its good business not to lose nearly every user of a platform in a single week. I tried the solution and it worked.

In summary, they made drivers with new signatures, but only for 10.13.6 (17G14042). I installed the security updates and tried the new driver and I'm back in business.

So, I booted my old Sierra workstation (which I haven't used in a month or so) and now my screen looks like this:

IMG_3142.JPG
Mouse works but graphics all garbled. Windows still works fine and I still see the clover boot screen. Is this the same issue others are having with graphics drivers? Running a 980ti Windforce, Asus board w/ 3930K.

So, I booted my old Sierra workstation (which I haven't used in a month or so) and now my screen looks like this:

View attachment 550161 Mouse works but graphics all garbled. Windows still works fine and I still see the clover boot screen. Is this the same issue others are having with graphics drivers? Running a 980ti Windforce, Asus board w/ 3930K.

Hi there.

Could be. Most people suffering this problem are at High Sierra, so your issue may just be a different result of the same problem.

If you are still using Clover boot-loader, at the Clover menu go to the Options sub-menu and add the "nv_disable=1" boot-command. That will turn-off the Nvidia web-drivers. If the toggle works you will get a display output which is as it should be but without any hardware acceleration (with luck). So jerky, tearing and with a solid dock and menu-bar, rather than translucent.

Give it a try and report back. This first test is non-invasive and shouldn't damage anything in your system if it doesn't work because it has only a temporary effect.

:)

View attachment 550161 Mouse works but graphics all garbled. Windows still works fine and I still see the clover boot screen. Is this the same issue others are having with graphics drivers? Running a 980ti Windforce, Asus board w/ 3930K.
Very textilely, like a rug!.

So, I booted my old Sierra workstation (which I haven't used in a month or so)
I would upgrade to High Sierra and then use the latest signed web driver from Nvidia.
Here's a link to the post where you can download.

Hi there.

Could be. Most people suffering this problem are at High Sierra, so your issue may just be a different result of the same problem.

If you are still using Clover boot-loader, at the Clover menu go to the Options sub-menu and add the "nv_disable=1" boot-command. That will turn-off the Nvidia web-drivers. If the toggle works you will get a display output which is as it should be but without any hardware acceleration (with luck). So jerky, tearing and with a solid dock and menu-bar, rather than translucent.

Give it a try and report back. This first test is non-invasive and shouldn't damage anything in your system if it doesn't work because it has only a temporary effect.

Thanks so much! I built this computer over 10 years ago and haven't fussed with any of the software for at least 7 (rock solid machine), so I have forgotten all the maintenance tricks/ hacks. Thanks so much for chiming in.

"nv_disable=1" got my desktop to boot but with a 1280x1024 stretched resolution! Yea! So at least I can stop panicking now and try a few things:

1. There is a security update I have not done yet "2019-005 10.12.6" - should I proceed with update?
2. When I go into the system prefs, I get this error when trying the Cuda and Nvidia driver manager "To use this preference pane, system preferences must quit and reopen" When I hit okay, it reboots sys prefs and asks again, starting an endless loop.
3. I tried an old backup drive that had Yosemite installed for this machine and it seemed to boot up just fine.

1. There is a security update I have not done yet "2019-005 10.12.6" - should I proceed with update?
As I said in post #17, you're going to need to install 10.13.6 and use the signed driver that I linked to.
Any other drivers will give you the same garbled mess on your display.

Thanks so much! I built this computer over 10 years ago and haven't fussed with any of the software for at least 7 (rock solid machine), so I have forgotten all the maintenance tricks/ hacks. Thanks so much for chiming in.

"nv_disable=1" got my desktop to boot but with a 1280x1024 stretched resolution! Yea! So at least I can stop panicking now and try a few things:

2. When I go into the system prefs, I get this error when trying the Cuda and Nvidia driver manager "To use this preference pane, system preferences must quit and reopen" When I hit okay, it reboots sys prefs and asks again, starting an endless loop.
3. I tried an old backup drive that had Yosemite installed for this machine and it seemed to boot up just fine.

Glad the first step worked. :thumbup:

If you need to stay at Sierra for software reasons etc., you'll have to go with either a natively supported Nvidia graphics-card, which does not need the web-drivers, or a similar AMD one, because your CPU doesn't have an iGPU to fall back to.

At this stage the Sierra security update is only useful in one of the above scenarios.

Otherwise upgrade to High Sierra and then use the latest, modifed, web-drivers, to get back to fully working graphics with your GTX980.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back