Contribute
Register

Nvidia displayport bios update

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the hackintosh experts, is this bios update advisable for our maxwell and pascal cards?

https://www.techpowerup.com/244981/nvidia-has-a-displayport-problem-which-only-a-bios-update-can-fix

According to the information on the Nvidia download site : Without the update, systems that are connected to a DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitor could experience blank screens on boot until the OS loads, or could experience a hang on boot.

So you will need this update if
(1) you are using any of the affected Nvidia graphics cards
(2) you are using a monitor that supports DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 (They are not very common now, right?)
(3) you are connecting the graphics card and monitor via DisplayPort

It appears that some guys on the Techpowerup forum have installed this update on their Nvidia cards and the update works correctly.

In my opinion, unless you are already using one of these new DisplayPort 1.3 / 1.4 monitors (What and where are they?), you do not need this update.

Now, how do you update the F/W if you only have macOS? Take it to a neighbor with a Windows computer?

I had to temporarily install Windoze 10 on a spare SATA disk just to install the firmware update for two of my Nvidia GFX cards. Disconnected from Internet, changed BIOS settings (secure boot), installed Windoze to an empty disk (be careful or disconnect your Mac drives if you are unsure, also my SATA disk was not recognised by the installer unless it was connected to the 1st or 2nd SATA port) from a bootable USB flash disk I had prepared previously with the help of the VMWare Fusion Win 7 virtual machine I still keep for some strange reason, installed latest NVidia drivers, ran the firmware update tool, checked, then took the Window$ disk out, changed back the BIOS settings and rebooted my Hackintosh (MacOSX 10.13.5). All went ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back