Contribute
Register

Nvidia dedicated GPU: G-Sync vs Optimus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have seen on the GTX 1050/Tis, I don't remember seeing any model from Clevo(or any other brand) with hardware mux... since the 1050s usually only show up in the low to mid-end gaming laptops, they are probably not "high-performance" enough to warrant the extra hardware change cost?

Additionally I don't know if the hardware switch exists on other Clevo lines. From what a Sager rep told me, it sounded more like an unique feature of the P650/670HP lines and not a standard. But that's probably not 100% confirmed either, I usually get different answers from different builders... not all the reps are knowledgeable on less known features.

I was thinking about a 14" Clevo laptop since it has a nice carrying size and quite a lot cheaper too, but not able to do dedicated GPU is a deal-killer. Plus at that price point I could just grab a DELL locally with a better screen...

I would think twice before replacing the screen unless you get it from a reputable parts store or one with good warranty policies... I kept finding stories about multiple dead pixels on those replacement screens, not sure if they come from the rejected lots or what, maybe those people just have really bad lucks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. The next question is DVMT setting, as you already mentioned.

Probably off the top, but

I know for a fact that ASUS G701VO-CS74K (w/dedicated GTX 980) will work under Sierra 10.12.4. No NVMe thou and few other smaller things that you will need to figure out! You will need to use USB SSD to boot.

You can get a pretty good deal on them on Amazon Warehouse
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GHQOQJG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Here is my post:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...74k-i7-6820-64gb-ddr4-w-980-dedicated.217739/

I also found that exact same setup will work with ASUS ROG G752VY-DH78K (it has SATA HDD, which you can replace).
But its got GTX 980m, not 980.

With NVIDIA releasing WebDrivers for PASCAL, I managed to return all 980 laptops, haven't started looking for an adequate dedicated PASCAL laptop. Will be coming back to this thread for the developments.

Last edited:
Hi people.
I had a look at this barebone laptop that seems very useful to me:

CLEVO - N870HJ1 i7-7700HQ GTX 1050

In your opinion, is it going to be fully hackintoshable?

dfrank

Hi people.
I had a look at this barebone laptop that seems very useful to me:

CLEVO - N870HJ1 i7-7700HQ GTX 1050

In your opinion, is it going to be fully hackintoshable?

dfrank

Hi.

It might work, but you will have to make sure GTX 1050 is not Optimus, and, of course, replace WI-FI. That's a standard practice anyway.

Keep us updated.

GTX970M with Gsync may not work.
My laptop can detect internal screen, freeze when use miniDP, HDMI notwork.
:(

How about Lenovo E530 with Intel HD 4000 + GT 635m?
I have fully unlocked BIOS with advanced settings, where I can select NVIDIA Only mode (it wasn't available before BIOS unlock), but I assume that If I try it, I'll get a black screen.
By any chance, could it be so my NVIDIA has a hardware, needed to connect directly to HDMI and LVDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back