Contribute
Register

Nvidia Card without HW acceleration, how good (or bad!) does it work ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 N WiFi ITX
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
rtx 2070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone

I've built a recent hackintosh smoothly running mojave using the uhd630 igpu.

I'm planning to buy a GPU and am considering going for Nvidia (probably a 1660ti or 2060 for moderate 1440p gaming) for dual boot.

I know there are no mac drivers available. Any expert opinions if there is a slight chance we might get them one day?

My real question is more if it is possible to use a recent nvidia card without glitches and HW acceleration under mac os or will I have to use two video ports (one for igpu, one for the discrete) or to systematically switch cables as I dual boot ?

Thanx guys

so far no driver for new Nvidia Graphics card
no driver = useless hardware
forget about nvidia

Thanks for the reply itwas.

I could be OK with a gpu that only work when I boot into windows, but I can't find decent answers regarding actual user experience in such configuration.

Imagine I have a HDMI connected to iGPU for mac OS and a DP connected to the NVIDIA for windows.

Will it boot properly under mac OS ? Will it uselessly power the GPU card ? Or do I need each time to tinker with the BIOS ? Is it even possible not to power a GPU in the bios?

Hi everyone

I'm planning to buy a GPU and am considering going for Nvidia (probably a 1660ti or 2060 for moderate 1440p gaming) for dual boot.

I know there are no mac drivers available. Any expert opinions if there is a slight chance we might get them one day?

My real question is more if it is possible to use a recent nvidia card without glitches and HW acceleration under mac os or will I have to use two video ports (one for igpu, one for the discrete) or to systematically switch cables as I dual boot ?

Thanx guys

I tried using the Mojave Public Beta with an Nvidia card and it sucked. Using IGPU is a much better idea.

Whether or not Nvidia will ever release drivers for Mojave is anyone's guess. But be aware that the Nvidia web drivers sucked on High Sierra. Search Google for "high sierra nvidia stutter lag" and you will see what I'm talking about. So, even if Nvidia does release drivers, we have no idea if the drivers will be any good.

In my opinion, if macOS is important to you, get an AMD card. Right now, Vega 56 cards can easily be found for around $320. With a bit of easy tuning in Wattman, it will give GTX 1070-1080 levels of performance in Windows gaming and will make macOS buttery smooth. The smartest thing I've done in recent memory is to sell my GTX 1080 and get a Vega 56.

If you are dead set on getting an Nvidia card, it's possible to disable the Nvidia card in macOS using Clover and only rely on IGPU. This is something I've never tried and don't know how stable it is or how well it works. I also do not know how to configure Clover for this.

Whether or not Nvidia will ever release drivers for Mojave is anyone's guess. But be aware that the Nvidia web drivers sucked on High Sierra. Search Google for "high sierra nvidia stutter lag" and you will see what I'm talking about. So, even if Nvidia does release drivers, we have no idea if the drivers will be any good.

In my opinion, if macOS is important to you, get an AMD card. Right now, Vega 56 cards can easily be found for around $320. With a bit of easy tuning in Wattman, it will give GTX 1070-1080 levels of performance in Windows gaming and will make macOS buttery smooth. The smartest thing I've done in recent memory is to sell my GTX 1080 and get a Vega 56.

If you are dead set on getting an Nvidia card, it's possible to disable the Nvidia card in macOS using Clover and only rely on IGPU. This is something I've never tried and don't know how stable it is or how well it works. I also do not know how to configure Clover for this.

Thanks pastrychef. I was aware of your experience with the vega that I carefuly read :) Thing is my case is compact and I don't have that much choice in terms of cards. Not to mention I'm quite sensitive to thermal and power consumption, something where radeon/vega is not among the best performers. Actually, the MSI airboost you have could fit, any feedback in term of noise?

As I don't need it under mac os, I'm actively looking for feedback on the second option that would open to me the best options.

Thanks pastrychef. I was aware of your experience with the vega that I carefuly read :) Thing is my case is compact and I don't have that much choice in terms of cards. Not to mention I'm quite sensitive to thermal and power consumption, something where radeon/vega is not among the best performers. Actually, the MSI airboost you have could fit, any feedback in term of noise?

As I don't need it under mac os, I'm actively looking for feedback on the second option that would open to me the best options.

I have my Vega undervolted and have applied Liquid Metal. This helps keep temps and power consumption within reason. I use VGTab to control the fans. Under normal desktop use, I don't hear the Vega. Under light gaming in Windows, I don't hear it. The only time I hear the fan is when I run the Unigine Heaven and Valley benchmarks.

Hi everyone

Thanx guys
Yes, definitely you can do it as you wished.
  1. Bios profile 1 for windows
  2. Bios profile 2 for Mac
  3. Connect DP from your dGPU to your monitor
  4. Connect other DP or HDMI to your iGPU
  5. loan bios profile 1, if you want to boot into windows, otherwise load bios profile 2 to boot into macos.

I just had the old GTX 770 4GB quit on me last week on my hackintosh. So totally blind I just ordered an RTX 2060 (MSI Ventus to be exact.) In retrospect that was dumb, but I've got a lot going on.

Anyway, after reading everywhere that it doesn't work ... I was surprised to see that it boots for me -- didn't change anything from the GTX 770 config. But it's stuck in XGA (1024x768). It only sees the card as having 3MB VRAM. I'm using it as I write this.

1024x768 is better than nothing I suppose, for now.

This is on the system in my footer, running Mojave.

I just had the old GTX 770 4GB quit on me last week on my hackintosh. So totally blind I just ordered an RTX 2060 (MSI Ventus to be exact.) In retrospect that was dumb, but I've got a lot going on.

Anyway, after reading everywhere that it doesn't work ... I was surprised to see that it boots for me -- didn't change anything from the GTX 770 config. But it's stuck in XGA (1024x768). It only sees the card as having 3MB VRAM. I'm using it as I write this.

1024x768 is better than nothing I suppose, for now.

This is on the system in my footer, running Mojave.
it can run, but without hardware acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back