Contribute
Register

Nvidia announces the Quadro K5000 for Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article: Nvidia announces the Quadro K5000 for Mac

Any help for 6xx series, is what I'm wondering about.
If you want to run a 6xx card right now, get Mountain Lion. If you want to run triple-monitor with a 6xx card then you're probably out of luck.

The Quadro K5000 won't be shipping for either Mac or Windows until later this year, and they probably aren't going to release drivers for the product before the product itself is actually released. No point on speculating what will or won't be possible until then.

apparently you don't know much about thunderbolt.
The thunderbolt displays can easily be used with every gpu which has mini-displayport.
Thunderbolt connections are actually just used for external hard drives, and for daisychaining multiple screens / hard drives.

Yes, but this says they have Displayport, it doesn't say mini-displayport which means it won't work with Thunderbolt w/o an adapter, super lame.

The GTX 670 is a different kind of card, it has a different function to this one which is more geared towards 3D design and CAD/CAM stuff, not high speed rendering that games do. The GTX 6xx series work native with Mountain Lion, you may need to enable OpenCL support though. You get a 2.1 OpenGL implementation with an incomplete 3.x set of extensions also. 3D works out of the box.

Yes, but this says they have Displayport, it doesn't say mini-displayport which means it won't work with Thunderbolt w/o an adapter, super lame.

You're missing the point though, IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. It might be the same physical connector, but you can't use the Thunderbolt display unless you have a Thunderbolt port, is it won't give you a picture when connected to a mini DisplayPort.

$2,249 ? No problem... So I will get four displays simultaneously to accommodate Alexis Texas's butt at full resolution now.

So - this is my question: The K5000 is already available for Windows. What's the difference between the K5000 Windows card and this Mac card? Just drivers? We've already got support from Apple (in 10.8.2) for the GK104 GPU .. so I'm wondering if the K5000 windows card would work in OS X.

So - this is my question: The K5000 is already available for Windows. What's the difference between the K5000 Windows card and this Mac card? Just drivers? We've already got support from Apple (in 10.8.2) for the GK104 GPU .. so I'm wondering if the K5000 windows card would work in OS X.

I have the same question. The K5000 windows card is here at my office. My MacPro can't boot with it installed but starting from the windows partition on the same machine works like a charm.

If I can't get it to work with OSX on the MacPro in the foreseeable future, then I'll use it to build our first Windows workstation.

Btw. Nvidia wrote this to me yesterday "... The K5000 for Mac will be available in Q1 of 2013. You will need to ONLY use the K5000 for Mac...."

_Kasper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back