i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
These CMP (crypto mining) cards won't have any video outputs, support ray tracing or many other features of GeForce "gaming" graphics cards. This is Nvidia's strategy to give gamers a chance at buying their gaming cards at a reasonable price. They are also looking to cash in even more on this crypto mining bubble. The downside of all this for the miners is that they won't be able to dump the used cards on Ebay. Once Ethereum prices come back down (and they will) and it's no longer profitable to mine they're stuck with huge numbers of pretty much worthless Nvidia cards they can't resell.

Press Release from Nvidia:

With the launch of GeForce RTX 3060 on Feb. 25, we're taking an important step to help ensure GeForce GPUs end up in the hands of gamers.

Halving Hash Rate
RTX 3060 software drivers are designed to detect specific attributes of the Ethereum cryptocurrency mining algorithm, and limit the hash rate, or cryptocurrency mining efficiency, by around 50 percent.

That only makes sense. Our GeForce RTX GPUs introduce cutting-edge technologies — such as RTX real-time ray-tracing, DLSS AI-accelerated image upscaling technology, Reflex super-fast response rendering for the best system latency, and many more — tailored to meet the needs of gamers and those who create digital experiences.

To address the specific needs of Ethereum mining, we're announcing the NVIDIA CMP, or, Cryptocurrency Mining Processor, product line for professional mining.

CMP products — which don't do graphics — are sold through authorized partners and optimized for the best mining performance and efficiency. They don't meet the specifications required of a GeForce GPU and, thus, don't impact the availability of GeForce GPUs to gamers.

For instance, CMP lacks display outputs, enabling improved airflow while mining so they can be more densely packed. CMPs also have a lower peak core voltage and frequency, which improves mining power efficiency.

Creating tailored products for customers with specific needs delivers the best value for customers. With CMP, we can help miners build the most efficient data centers while preserving GeForce RTX GPUs for gamers.

Last edited:
What do you make of all this ? Does it mean AMD will be selling even more of it's high hash rate Navi and Big Navi cards to crypto miners ? I think they will, making it even harder for us hackintoshers to get a macOS supported AMD card. Gamers that also mine crypto won't like it when Nvidia takes that away from their RTX 3060 GPU. They might even switch to AMD instead.

Personally, whatever helps out us "normals" is good by me.

I don't care a lick if any of this hurts the miners.
They have screwed us all over for years when things are "peaking" and one needs a simple GPU.

I hope AMD follows suit. It's absolutely infuriating that a simple 5600xt can't be had right now for anything short of nearly triple the MSRP

Here's one way to get an RTX 3070 for gaming in Windows. Buy a Dell XPS with one pre-installed. It looks like Dell put a decent cooler on the 3070 too. The pricing shown is in Canadian dollars so it will be less in US dollars. The "Did me Dirty" part is referring to the fact he ordered dual channel ram but they sent only a single DIMM of ram.

If you don't want to just extract the 3070 you could still use the Dell with an upgraded CPU cooler and 16GB of dual channel ram. Not sure why Dawid didn't do that for the video.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back