i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi there,

I have recently made the decision to upgrade my Windows gaming PC so that I can dual boot a Hackintosh instance on a second drive, as my daily driver (mid 2012 MacBook Pro) is increasingly struggling to keep up with the workload I am throwing at it.

I intend to keep the Windows portion of my gaming PC untouched, however I have recently been made aware that my GTX 1070 is incompatible with Mojave, which is currently my preffered operating system. So I'm looking at purchasing an RX 570, which not only is compatible with Mojave and all of the components in my build, but also sits nicely in my budget.

My question is, is it possible to use both my 1070 for gaming on my Windows machine, and an RX 570 for the macOS side of things, in the same rig?
And if so, what setup procedures must I follow?

Any assistance or advice would be thoroughly appreciated!

Other components in my system include:

Motherboard: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Intel i7 6700K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4
SSD: 1x Samsung 970 EVO 256GB M.2 SSD (Windows Boot drive) and 1x Samsung 870 PRO 256GB SATA SSD (reserved for macOS Boot drive)
HDD: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB HDD @7200RPM
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W

Cheers, Tom.

it is possible but it is very unreasonable as you would require twice the number of power cords on your PSU and you need a mainboard with 2 PCI-e 16x slots and you would need monitor switches.
much more reasonable would be to sell the 1070 and replace it with 5600XT and upgrade to Catalina
if you decide to go with the rx 570 anyway you need just lilu and whatevergreen kexts

it is possible but it is very unreasonable as you would require twice the number of power cords on your PSU and you need a mainboard with 2 PCI-e 16x slots and you would need monitor switches.
much more reasonable would be to sell the 1070 and replace it with 5600XT and upgrade to Catalina
if you decide to go with the rx 570 anyway you need just lilu and whatevergreen kexts

My PSU is 1000W so I'm assuming that it can probably provide enough power to the 570 as it only chews about 150W under load, and as it stands my system is only utilising around 500W. As for power cords that isn't a problem, I still have about 5 spare VGA cords included with my PSU. I also still have a spare PCI-Express 16x slot on my motherboard so shouldn't be any worries there, and the monitor I have has 2 DisplayPort which I can switch between in the monitor's inbuilt menu. I will check out those kexts though, thanks.

so then you can go for it. let us know how it went because there were other people considering this approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back