4. Plus
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. Quadra
  8. SE
  9. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So what's the consensus here? Do we think that Nvidia has just stealth stopped supporting the alternate drivers while claiming support will appear "sometime" forever, or will they actually deliver?

I see the latest security patch (yesterday) broke the last working driver, so now my 1060 is unusable even though I haven't upgraded to Mojave yet. The question is whether I should continue to be patient, or give up and buy an AMD card. I'm looking for the community pulse if it's all speculation (actual knowledge is better, but I suspect none exists).

Last time Pascal support came in 8 months, which is way too long.

I suggest moving to AMD or if you are wanting to play the waiting game, use your iGPU.

Or better yet, don't update to Mojave yet.

Think about it this way. Is NVIDIA really really worth it? If yes, then I suggest you leave it in there and get an AMD card or use your iGPU in macOS and NVIDIA in Windows.

The way things have been going between Apple and NVIDIA since 2013/2014 suggest to us that they really dislike each other and Apple doesn't really need NVIDIA as long as AMD produces GPUs (which they will for a long time, even if they are behind NVIDIA performance wise).

To me, not having to update the WebDrivers every time is totally worth it and my Vega FE has good enough performance for me (even in games at 3840x1600 in Windows) and for professional applications like Resolve, that I am very happy with it.

Next-Gen AMD GPUs are coming next year and in 2020 so we will have more options and Apple will surely support them as well.

Last time Pascal support came in 8 months, which is way too long.

I suggest moving to AMD or if you are wanting to play the waiting game, use your iGPU.

Or better yet, don't update to Mojave yet.

Think about it this way. Is NVIDIA really really worth it? If yes, then I suggest you leave it in there and get an AMD card or use your iGPU in macOS and NVIDIA in Windows.

The way things have been going between Apple and NVIDIA since 2013/2014 suggest to us that they really dislike each other and Apple doesn't really need NVIDIA as long as AMD produces GPUs (which they will for a long time, even if they are behind NVIDIA performance wise).

To me, not having to update the WebDrivers every time is totally worth it and my Vega FE has good enough performance for me (even in games at 3840x1600 in Windows) and for professional applications like Resolve, that I am very happy with it.

Next-Gen AMD GPUs are coming next year and in 2020 so we will have more options and Apple will surely support them as well.

That's more or less what I figured. In this case, I wasn't stressed about upgrading, but the fact that even a security patch (yesterday) broke the web drivers and there's still no update nor indication of an update is disconcerting.

That's more or less what I figured. In this case, I wasn't stressed about upgrading, but the fact that even a security patch (yesterday) broke the web drivers and there's still no update nor indication of an update is disconcerting.

I upgraded with High Sierra security patch with no issues and don't have to worry about drivers :)

Honestly I'm so glad I'm not using NVIDIA anymore on Hackintoshes.

I got annoyed with it and pulled the 1060 last night, it will end up on eBay whenever I get around to it. The onboard GPU is flickery, and the suggested solution for that (Fake ID in Clover config.plist) broke Wi-Fi (and was still flickering) so I gave up on it. I'll slum in Win7 for a week until a stopgap Radeon 580 arrives. Then we'll see what happens next year.

The problem with that petition is the following demand statement ...

QUOTE:-
The community of people who have chosen to use Nvidia products with their Apple hardware demands that Apple permit Nvidia to make web drivers that work with all Mac OS versions going forward.

Nobody knows for sure if this is true, by all accounts Nvidia could happily release a driver without Apple's permission.

Therefore demanding that Apple allow Nvidia to write a driver maybe un-necessary, it's quite possible that Apple have got nothing to do with the hold up .... the truth is nobody except a few people in Nvidia know whats really going on and Nvidia are not telling us what that is.

If Nvidia was being disallowed to release drivers by Apple, and they actually cared about their Mac customers then they would have an official petition.

IMHO I think the problem has more to do with Nvidia than Apple.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Was really thinking about Mojave update, so hopped on here and found Nvidia has no drivers available.

I might be abandoning the Hackintosh. I simply don't have time to research and mess with it at os update time anymore.

Decent PC for gaming and a Mac mini for everyday use. Sure, at times do some heavy Photoshop and In Design work, but a beefy GPU hardly makes a difference in my 2d work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back