Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, system upgraded to 10.8.4 without problems.

If you are on 10.8.3 or earlier, you can update securely following these steps:

This is what I did to install 10.8.4 and to have the same good functionality as 10.8.2 but with a better overall performance:

1 - In 10.8.3 or earlier, open the Terminal and paste this command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-caches

2 - Then paste this command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

3 - If you didn't receive any errors, you can skip this step and the next one, so you can continue from step 5. But if you receive some errors concerning one or more kext files, go to ~system/library/extensions and delete the offending kexts.

4 - Paste again in the Terminal the two commands listed above. Now you should not receive any errors.

5 - Update the system to 10.8.4 using combo update. The installation should now finish ok without errors. Don't restart the system yet.

6 - Go to /system/library/extensions and delete the following kext: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (if the file does not exist, it is ok too.)

7 - If you were using a custom AppleACPIPlatform.kext for the system to boot faster, then you should replace the file again. For 10.8.4 you can use the file attached on this post. You can install the kext using Kext Utility.

8 - Use Kext Utility to update cache and repair permissions. You can use Disk Utility too if you prefer.

9 - Reboot the system. Now it should boot without problems, and you are on 10.8.4

10 - If you were on 10.8.3 and you were using nvidia latest drivers for 10.8.3, you should receive an error saying that the drivers are not compatible with the system, and that the OS X default drivers are loaded. No problem with that.

11 - Check if the audio is working. If it's not, you need to install the proper kexts again for the audio.

12 - If you want to activate OpenCL support you need to paste this code in the terminal (even if you applied this before, since the patch were erased with the update):
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Done. :)

If you want to get rid of the random freezes, you can try the patch located here, named freeze fix app: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ermi-freeze-back-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a.html

Attachments

• AppleACPIPlatform.kext.v1.3.5.zip
    407.2 KB · Views: 155
Thanks for the app, I'll give it a try.

As for the 10.8.4 update. I'be been running on it since yesterday without freezes and without any anti-freeze apps running but I've just got one now, though I'll have to wait for another one to confirm it. In any case, if they don't disappear completely with the update, they've become considerably rare (I would usually go ~30 min and freeze).

UPDATE
Looks like a false alarm - i've traced the freeze to the Mail app. It's freezing up but the computer till goes into sleep regardless. So It seems there's a new glitch with this update - the mail app. Dunno if it's unique to me so if anyone has this, please tell.

I had the 12E52 beta and the 12E55 release has the same graphics drivers, I have experiences freezes with both on my 550 Ti. However, I did not think about the mail application. It is always open in the background, how did you trace it back to this so I can check on mine?

I usually keep mine off, and when I switch it back on, I start freezing. I've also noticed that sometimes when I exit screen sleep, the mouse pointer doesn't respond and I get a freeze. I've tried using the antifreeze app and it seems to fix the screen sleep freeze issue but I haven't tested it on the mail app since I've been without internet for 2 days

I would like to ask a question before updating to 10.8.4 from 10.8.2

Correctly i have video drivers patched by Vczilla, i got sometimes freezes (on in a day or two in a day, sleeping not working)

If i follow the instruction of Shinji3rd my drivers from 10.8.2 will still work and i can safely follow this instruction?

Does GTS 450 work better in 10.8.4?

Thanks, and hope for replay.

Hi Nortex.
By following my instructions you will update from 10.8.2 to 10.8.4, INCLUDING the video drivers, so vczilla's drivers will be replaced with the new ones from Apple. This new drivers works great on Fermi cards, and that includes your GTS 450.
After the upgrade, be sure to install the Freeze Fix App that I mentioned in the instructions, and your system will not have any freezes at all, at least not related to the video card.

Hello dear Tonymacx86 Forum!

Updated successfully to 10.8.4 i only had to do this again:

--Enable OpenCL patch - with (Terminal)
--Enabled Trim - with (Terminal)
--Added USB 3 Kext Fix (PXHCD.kext) - with (KextBeast) App.
--(Freezefix)" App to Fix nVidia's random freezes. Does a great job. thanks again to "dan542" for the fantastic little App.

(not used MultiBeast) as i had a working 10.8.3 System before.

cheers

System: Hackintosh
Boot loader: Chimera v2.0.1
CPU: Intel i7 960 (3.30GHz) Quad-Core
MB: Gigabyte x58a-ud3r r2 (Bios FF)
Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTS 450 OC (1GB) DDR5
Ram: Corsair 6GB DDR3 (1600mhz)
HD: Intel SSD 520 Series 240GB
Monitor: Sony Bravia 1920 x 1080 - (42 Zoll)

Hi Nortex.
By following my instructions you will update from 10.8.2 to 10.8.4, INCLUDING the video drivers, so vczilla's drivers will be replaced with the new ones from Apple. This new drivers works great on Fermi cards, and that includes your GTS 450.
After the upgrade, be sure to install the Freeze Fix App that I mentioned in the instructions, and your system will not have any freezes at all, at least not related to the video card.

Thank you! Successfully updates to 10.8.4 from 10.8.2, after update had no sound so i had to install audio kext again from multi beast.

Didnt test yet video performance and freezes, If there will be any issues i will reply here.

Ah i've got another question, sleep has to work now?

Thank you! Successfully updates to 10.8.4 from 10.8.2, after update had no sound so i had to install audio kext again from multi beast.

Didnt test yet video performance and freezes, If there will be any issues i will reply here.

Ah i've got another question, sleep has to work now?

I had to install sound kexts again too.
And about sleep, I just tested it right now, and it works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back