Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed this the other day on the forum! It's a good setup :p but I have the BT magic mouse and keyboard.

I shall have to try this, thank you very much! What kind of setup do you have, which version of 10.8, which kexts have you installed for the card?

I wish I could PM you but I don't have 50 posts yet, so we'll have to use a thread to talk. Because it would be off topic in this thread lets talk here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...s-p8p67-le-i5-2400-gtx-550-ti-10-7-4-a-3.html

Hey there, Glad to see you got it working!

I have a GTX 550 ti, and I was wondering if you could break down exactly what you did, because I'm no genius with this kind of stuff. Thanks!

@Shinji3rd did you do a fresh install of 10.8.3 or did you do the combo update? im really interested in your method! thanks in advance!

Previously I tried 4 times to do the upgrade, 3 of which by using the combo update and the other one by using Appstore's method. In all 4 times the installation of the update appeared to be fine, but it ended with an error, and when the system reboots it cannot go past the spinner, except if I boot it in safe mode. The weird thing was that if I booted it in safe mode and looked for the system properties, it says 10.8.3. That four times I ended formatting the disk and reinstalling 10.8.2 by using a TimeMachine backup.

So, this is what I did to install 10.8.3 and to have the same good functionality as 10.8.2 but with a better overall performance:

1 - In 10.8.2, open the Terminal and paste this command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-caches

2 - Then paste this command:
Code:
sudo kextcache -update-volume

3 - If you didn't receive any errors, you can skip this step and the next one, so you can continue from step 5. But if you receive some errors concerning one or more kext files, go to ~system/library/extensions and delete the offending kexts.

4 - Paste again in the Terminal the two commands listed above. Now you should not receive any errors.

5 - Update the system to 10.8.3 using combo update. The installation should now finish ok without errors. Don't restart the system yet.

6 - Go to ~system/library/extensions and delete the following kext: AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

7 - If you were using a custom AppleACPIPlatform.kext for the system to boot faster, then you should replace the file again. For 10.8.3 you can use the file attached on this post. You can install the kext using Kext Utility.

8 - Use Kext Utility to update cache and repair permissions. You can use Disk Utility too if you prefer.

9 - Reboot the system. Now it should boot without problems, and you are in 10.8.3

10 - If you want to activate OpenCL support you need to paste this code in the terminal:
Code:
sudo perl -pi -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); }' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Done. :)

If you want to get rid of the random freezes, you can use the AddMovieWallpaper that lisapower recommended before, or you can try the patch located here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ermi-freeze-back-latest-drivers-10-8-3-a.html

UPDATE: with the AddMovieWallpaper app, or the fixfreeze app, the random freezes still exist, but there are less frequent.

Attachments

• AppleACPIPlatform.kext.v1.3.5.zip
    407.2 KB · Views: 111
I am too - I just decided to go with Lion for the time being.

If you didn't catch on, I didn't fix it.

Did anybody try OS X 10.8.4. The update came out very recently.

lo estoy probando en este momento, por ahora ningun freeze, la mac estuvo prendida 2 horas.

im trying it right now, so far so good, my hack as been on for about 2 hours.

My hack: i5 3570K
Ds3h
Nvidia 460 MSI Twin Forz.

For those who have the freeze issue i've compiled a small app that renders the Quartz screensaver in a small window and uses a fraction of the resources VLC would use, no sound, has play/pause and most importantly - doesn't interfere with the power management (screen dim and sleep). I just put it in my startup list and forgot about it.
Hope it'll be a useful alternative 'till we wait for a fix...

Attachments

• Quartz Screensaver.zip
    603.5 KB · Views: 101
my hack as been on since yesterday at 22 pm, no freeze what so ever since i updated to 10.8.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back