Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the Cuda-test app, i have tried it now for 2 months and had like 3 freezez and the app was always up and running. The App does not solve the freeze issue in any way. So i think it's more a CPU management problem or Hard Disc management that makes these freezez happen.

For me the best option i have since a long time is using VLC Player with a short clip in a loop. This forces the Hard Disc to be running and busy as the clip is saved there and this solves the freezez 100% I can confirm this as i running VLC option since i went from 10.7.4.

Your theory about HDD is interesting
But why those freezes happens with exact reveal GPUs such as 550 ti and not with 560 for e.q ?

I can't answer this question, i only know that if the main HD is busy (for example running a clip in VLC, or watching online TV) then, the freezes are gone! So, it's not enough only to force the GPU, but also the Main Hard Disk.

I think it's some kind the same issue with the USB ports, if i plug on one port a bluetooth usb stick to control the mouse, then the mouse lags extremely, but if i connect the bluetooth usb stick to another port the mouse don't lag anymore.

cheers

Again. I had frequent system freezes recently. But now there is a new idea. I turned on my hd3000 video in BIOS to "always enable", but use my550ti. I tested it for 5 days. Games - ok, screensaver - ok, monitor sleep - ok, system sleep - ok.

If you have integrated video, please check out too, because I'm not sure what the reason may be in it.

In addition, I move user folder to HDD from system SSD. This is for lisapower's idea about HDD busy...

Keep trying.

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat. I have NVIDIA GTX 460, 10.7.3 worked perfectly, now did fresh install of 10.8.2, freezes occur after monitor wakes up from sleep. I tried the solution mentioned here (APGM, new drivers, frameworks). my GPU Core is always at 405Mhz, never changes from that (which i understood fixed the issue for some people but not for me).

The freezes continue if I let my monitor sleep. So i fix that by running VLC Loop. haven't tried CUDA-test yet.

next two things to try:
1) cuda-test
2) changing system definition from iMac12,2 to iMacPro5,1 [along with APGM]

Hi everyone,

I'm in the same boat. I have NVIDIA GTX 460, 10.7.3 worked perfectly, now did fresh install of 10.8.2, freezes occur after monitor wakes up from sleep. I tried the solution mentioned here (APGM, new drivers, frameworks). my GPU Core is always at 405Mhz, never changes from that (which i understood fixed the issue for some people but not for me).

The freezes continue if I let my monitor sleep. So i fix that by running VLC Loop. haven't tried CUDA-test yet.

next two things to try:
1) cuda-test
2) changing system definition from iMac12,2 to iMacPro5,1 [along with APGM]

I had no luck with the Cuda-Test app. but any comments or solutions are welcome.

Hi everyone.
I have a Nvidia 550Ti card too . A few days ago I noticed that there is a new combo update to imac13 . I just downloaded and installed. It seems like everything goes well now.
ps:you can install the update package by set you smbios to imac13,1.
I have another issue. On 10.8.2 the OpenGL performance strange. The fps count will come down obviously after play 3D game for a while.
Er, sorry for my poor en.

can you please post the version of the nvidia drivers, and the build number of your system??? We need to find which are those drivers.

Thank youu

can you please post the version of the nvidia drivers, and the build number of your system??? We need to find which are those drivers.

Thank youu

CUDA Driver Version: 5.0.37
GPU Driver Version: 8.6.22 304.10.20f04
OS X 10.8.2 (12C2034)

Thanks, I had test it those drivers already, but still Freeze are present at least for my GTX560m, but thanks any way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back