Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What am I doing wrong?

I have applied the files from the previous post on 10.8 and 10.8.2 and none of them worked.
After apply the files, do the chmod, chown, perl script and so on...after the reboot the gpu card is not used by the system, downgrading my resolution and lots of problems.

MOBO: GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU: Core i7 3770K
Video: GeForce 550 Ti
Thanks

out of the three listed driver how do i know which one to use

Just one more think: I suppose that best solution depend on the graphics card and on the whole system. In my configuration the only solution that works perfectly (no freeze, no problem in change resolution) is the one based on ML 10.8 DPL3. With the NVidia driver the freeze problem are not solved.

Me too, it seems like the NVIDIA drivers have always caused random freezes for me on 10.8.1 and 10.8.2

I'm now using the ML 10.8 DPL3 drivers on 10.8.2 without any problems.
My card is a 560 Ti on an EVGA x58 SLI LE.

Hi guys, gr8 thread. I got my system up and running smoothly yesterday with some help. Now i have no issue with open GL everything seems to be work fine on 10.8.2.
The only problem i have is the sleep issue. I can put the computer to sleep and wake up, but after wakeup i see the mouse pointer but screen is completely black.

I been reading this thread for solution and i did not find any answer.
If anyone already know the solution please point to me that comment or thread thanks.
Or ill keep looking if the sleep issue is still not fixed.

Many thanks in advance.

Specs:
CG8350 (P8H67-M PRO)
I5 3450
GTX 550 Ti

vczilla & aolivero thank you sooo much. i applied the 10.8.2 - nvidia patch (GTS 450) with your method and everything is working now perfectly. you really saved my day!

never thought in the beginning of my hackintosh advances that i will achieve perfect functionality! thank you so much!

ML10.8 DP3 worked for me ;)10.8.2 and GT440 . thank you vczilla & aolivero.

Regarding my previous post, it appears that I was mistaken about my card's stability on 10.8.2.
My Gigabyte 550ti, using the DP3 drivers from aolivero's post, freezes 100% when performing Luxmark's "Room Benchmark" at the beginning, and freezes 80% of the time (tested 10 times) when running Unigine Heaven on OS X, in both full screen and windowed modes. Otherwise the DP3 drivers are working fine (no crashes or freezes) on 10.8.2.
Anybody else have similar problems?
Using the 10.8.1 NVIDIA drivers resolves these issues, but then causes other random freezes. The 10.8.2 drivers just get stuck at the login screen for me (with their respective frameworks installed).

This time it's final! (At least I hope).

I don't know where to start. OK, let me make a quick recap for people joining in on the fun. Apple released a 10.8.2 update to OS X which (re-)screws everything in regard to system stability for us fermi owners.

The just released nvidia driver doesn't install out of the box. I provided a somewhat incomplete solution to force it to work earlier in this forum
but for some reason I didn't think of checking that OpenCL worked besides launching OceanWave.
And indeed it soon became apparent that LuxMark didn't work and just rendered a white screen.
As I surmised earlier it was probably because OpenCL.framework had been also updated by the 10.8.2 update and needed a rollback.

For your convenience I'm gonna re-post the entire solution corrected for that problem. Sorry to those who already applied the fix, but read on there's a fix for the fix at the end. The next part is an almost verbatim copy and paste of my previous post save for two added lines to take care of that pesky OpenCL problem. If you already applied the previous fix just skip to the part after the ### mark.

Also I originally didn't notice this but when the 'sudo ditto ...' command is run it prints 'sudo: unable to initialize PAM: No such file or directory'. Don't pay any attention to it, the file was copied just fine.

So the first step of course is to backup everything (by default to your home folder, if you want it somewhere else just replace the tilde sign (~) in the command by a folder of your choosing):

Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/{Extensions/{GeForce*,NVDA*},Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework} ~

Then you'll have to install nvidia's pkg as usual, DO NOT reboot once it's done.

Next download the zip archive named nvidia_10.8.2.zip attached at the end of the post, unzip it somewhere (it will expand to a folder named nvidia_10.8.2), open a terminal, run these commands (don't forget to replace /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive by the name of the folder in which you extracted the archive):

Code:
cd /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive/nvidia_10.8.2
sudo rm -r /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression GPUSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}

And that's it. No need to rebuild your kernel cache since the nvidia's installer took care of that.

Now what all this does is reinstall some frameworks (OpenCL.framework, OpenGL.framework and GPUSupport.framework) from the 10.8.1 release because they are a dependency of /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver which is the OpenGL driver.

If you want some OpenCL goodness, you'll have to apply this patch (for more info about this, read my earlier post on the subject):

Code:
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

###
For people who applied the partial fix posted earlier. Download the attachment named opencl_fix.zip at the end of this post.

Then make a backup of your original OpenCL.framework, as earlier this command save the framework to your home folder, just change the tilde to where you want it to be saved:

Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework ~

And finally unzip the archive somewhere, and run these commands (don't forget to replace /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive by the name of the folder in which you extracted the archive):

Code:
cd /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive/opencl_fix
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework

And that's it for now. I hope I didn't forget something (again). Also as noted earlier this is not a perfect solution, there are still problems with WebGL and Safari (or Opera Next and hardware acceleration if you swing that way).

Sorry to ask,what is nvidia's pkg?

I have applied vczilla patch using both ML10.8 DP3 & nvida newest pkg.. still get random freezes after wake up... is there no hope for this card.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back