Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, anyone can tell me what code should i use to enable openCL with the default 10.8.2 install (without the nVidia drivers from the site) ?

I have a Gigabyte gtx 550ti and no problem with the graphics, only that i don't have openCL...

Thanks.

OK, I must admit I foolishly upgraded to 10.8.2 with no backup whatsoever.
What can I say? I like taking risks I suppose.

Of course, since my system didn't even boot after that I was pissed.
But after a bit of reading I learned that I just needed to restore an older version of AppleACPIPlatform.kext and everything would be honky dory once again.

Was it though?

Not in the slightest, because as some of you here noticed there was no way of installing nvidia's 10.8.1 drivers without experiencing the infamous login loop upon reboot. Which of course is just loginwindow.app segfaulting.

But were you to log to a console in those conditions, you would notice that nvidia's kexts are indeed loaded. What's more since the login animation was being so jerky it also probably meant that something was preventing QE or OpenGL from working.

Right now you might be worrying that I'm just venting and wasting your time, but fear not because in fact I have a solution that will enable you to use nvidia's kexts on a 10.8.2 system.

As usual just copy and paste what's between code tags in your favorite terminal, preferably one line at a time.

So the first step of course is to backup everything (by default to your home folder, if you want it somewhere else just replace the tilde sign (~) in the command by a folder of your choosing):
Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/{Extensions/{GeForce*,NVDA*},Frameworks/OpenGL.framework,PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework} ~

Then you'll have to install nvidia's pkg as usual, DO NOT reboot once it's done.

Next download the zip archive attached at the end of the post, unzip it somewhere (it will expand to a folder named nvidia_10.8.2), open a terminal, run these commands (don't forget to replace /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive by the name of the folder in which you extracted the archive):
Code:
cd /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive/nvidia_10.8.2
sudo rm -r /System/Library/{Frameworks/OpenGL.framework,PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression GPUSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/{Frameworks/OpenGL.framework,PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}

And that's it. No need to rebuild your kernel cache since the nvidia's installer took care of that.

Now what all this does is reinstall some frameworks (OpenGL.framework and GPUSupport.framework) from the 10.8.1 release because they are a dependency of /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver which is the OpenGL driver.

If you want some OpenCL goodness, you'll have to apply this patch (for more info about this, read my earlier post on the subject):
Code:
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

Reboot and enjoy!

On my hackintosh the 10.8.2 update is now as functional as the 10.8.1 was.

I can change resolutions without triggering a blue screen, sleep without a garbled display upon waking up, launch Unigine Heaven without triggering a black screen.

I do have the occasional freeze and/or "NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception!" message in my logs but on the whole everything is usable (I had an uptime of 5 days before updating to 10.8.2).

But of course your mileage may vary.

Thank you very much.
I just ran LuxMark 2.0 and got highest score ever, but the problem is there is no scene just white. as you can see.
Ocean Wave test was normal. 86.5fps. ???

Any way, thank you so much.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 11.38.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-09-20 at 11.38.28 PM.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 287
Thank you very much.
I just ran LuxMark 2.0 and got highest score ever, but the problem is there is no scene just white. as you can see.
Ocean Wave test was normal. 86.5fps. ???

Any way, thank you so much.

Yeah, same thing here: LuxMark doesn't render any scene but Ocean Wave works normally. No idea why though.
It's possible that /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework was also updated by the 10.8.2 update.
In that case a possible fix would be to simply roll it back to the 10.8.1 version.
This needs some investigating.

Anyway this only reinforces the idea that this solution is fragile and that we badly need a real driver.
I'm curious to know if all these problems also happen on a real mac pro with a fermi card.
If so it means that Apple really screwed the pooch with that scenario but I guess they probably don't care that much because not a lot of people must be in that situation.

Yeah, same thing here: LuxMark doesn't render any scene but Ocean Wave works normally. No idea why though.
It's possible that /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework was also updated by the 10.8.2 update.
In that case a possible fix would be to simply roll it back to the 10.8.1 version.
This needs some investigating.

Anyway this only reinforces the idea that this solution is fragile and that we badly need a real driver.
I'm curious to know if all these problems also happen on a real mac pro with a fermi card.
If so it means that Apple really screwed the pooch with that scenario but I guess they probably don't care that much because not a lot of people must be in that situation.

Holy sh*t, your solution works! :)

First of all, thank you very much, I really apreciate your help, now I'm running 10.8.2 without problems (or at least, with the same "minor problems" as 10.8.1, but with an up to date system).
Secondly, people with real Macs have the same problem with Fermi cards, I can confirm this because a close friend with a MacPro has tested my graphic card (550ti) and his system freezes like mine before the nvidia updated drivers. Also, you can see many users reporting this problem on Apple support forums.

@lisapower, try this solution, it works great, and now thanks to vczilla we all can update to 10.8.2 without problems.

PS: Same here with Luxmark, it works but I can see only a white image.

Yet another problem i have in ML 10.8.1 :(

Im building a new machine and i have two options open to me

Evga 550ti overclocked

or

GTX 640

now i know the 640 works oob and thats great, but i do lots of video editing. Do you think I should go with the 640 or the 550ti

from what im hearing the video performance of the 640 is severely lacking compared with other cards including the 550ti.

If the card works perfect without sleep id be happy with that and use the 550ti, but from what im hearing thats not the case.

i have intel hd 4000 graphics too, but i have dual dvi monitors :/

ALSO, WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF I SLI THESE TWO CARDS! ONE OOB COMPATIBLE AND THE OTHER GLITCHY???

This time it's final! (At least I hope).

I don't know where to start. OK, let me make a quick recap for people joining in on the fun. Apple released a 10.8.2 update to OS X which (re-)screws everything in regard to system stability for us fermi owners.

The just released nvidia driver doesn't install out of the box. I provided a somewhat incomplete solution to force it to work earlier in this forum
but for some reason I didn't think of checking that OpenCL worked besides launching OceanWave.
And indeed it soon became apparent that LuxMark didn't work and just rendered a white screen.
As I surmised earlier it was probably because OpenCL.framework had been also updated by the 10.8.2 update and needed a rollback.

For your convenience I'm gonna re-post the entire solution corrected for that problem. Sorry to those who already applied the fix, but read on there's a fix for the fix at the end. The next part is an almost verbatim copy and paste of my previous post save for two added lines to take care of that pesky OpenCL problem. If you already applied the previous fix just skip to the part after the ### mark.

Also I originally didn't notice this but when the 'sudo ditto ...' command is run it prints 'sudo: unable to initialize PAM: No such file or directory'. Don't pay any attention to it, the file was copied just fine.

So the first step of course is to backup everything (by default to your home folder, if you want it somewhere else just replace the tilde sign (~) in the command by a folder of your choosing):

Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/{Extensions/{GeForce*,NVDA*},Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework} ~

Then you'll have to install nvidia's pkg as usual, DO NOT reboot once it's done.

Next download the zip archive named nvidia_10.8.2.zip attached at the end of the post, unzip it somewhere (it will expand to a folder named nvidia_10.8.2), open a terminal, run these commands (don't forget to replace /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive by the name of the folder in which you extracted the archive):

Code:
cd /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive/nvidia_10.8.2
sudo rm -r /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression GPUSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}

And that's it. No need to rebuild your kernel cache since the nvidia's installer took care of that.

Now what all this does is reinstall some frameworks (OpenCL.framework, OpenGL.framework and GPUSupport.framework) from the 10.8.1 release because they are a dependency of /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/GeForceGLDriver which is the OpenGL driver.

If you want some OpenCL goodness, you'll have to apply this patch (for more info about this, read my earlier post on the subject):

Code:
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

###
For people who applied the partial fix posted earlier. Download the attachment named opencl_fix.zip at the end of this post.

Then make a backup of your original OpenCL.framework, as earlier this command save the framework to your home folder, just change the tilde to where you want it to be saved:

Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework ~

And finally unzip the archive somewhere, and run these commands (don't forget to replace /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive by the name of the folder in which you extracted the archive):

Code:
cd /folder_where_I_unzipped_the_archive/opencl_fix
sudo rm -r /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework
sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework

And that's it for now. I hope I didn't forget something (again). Also as noted earlier this is not a perfect solution, there are still problems with WebGL and Safari (or Opera Next and hardware acceleration if you swing that way).

Attachments

• nvidia_10.8.2.zip
    55.4 MB · Views: 1,315
  • opencl_fix.zip
    39.3 MB · Views: 893
Thanks so much (vcZilla) !!!

You do better job then Apple and nVidia together. Can't believe what **** they do since Lion! I'm waiting now for my new SSD Drive before i make any Updates, changes etc... Then i will for sure apply your fix.

Again, thank you very much!

cheers

Is anyone else having issues with videos or flash? I can't get any flash to work when browsing the web. I also can't watch any videos in quicktime, just shows up black with sound. Those are the only two things I have tried so far that aren't working for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back