Contribute
Register

Nvidia 550Ti Sleep / Wake / Freeze Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a most simple way is to open in the finder and go to /System/Library/Frameworks/ and paste the OpenCL.Framework and OpenGL.framework from the MLDP3 it will ask for you password an click replace, then go to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks and paste GPU.Support.Framework and the same write your password and hit replace, and then go to /System/Library/Extensions and Place all the NVDA and Geforce kext from ML DP3 in that folder look for NVDAGK100Hal.kext and if you find it put it on trash. Then just open Disk Utility and repair permissions, then put this command
"sudo kextcache system-prelinked-kernel" and write your password.

I hope it helps

I got this when im using ''sudo kextcache system-prelinked-kernel''

Code:
No work to do; check options and try again.
usage: kextcache <mkext_flag> [options] [--] [kext or directory] ...
       kextcache -prelinked-kernel <filename> [options] [--] [kext or directory]
       kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
       kextcache [options] -prelinked-kernel
       kextcache -update-volume <volume> [options]
       kextcache -system-caches [options]

use kextcache -help for an explanation of each option

I got this when im using ''sudo kextcache system-prelinked-kernel''

Code:
No work to do; check options and try again.
usage: kextcache <mkext_flag> [options] [--] [kext or directory] ...
       kextcache -prelinked-kernel <filename> [options] [--] [kext or directory]
       kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
       kextcache [options] -prelinked-kernel
       kextcache -update-volume <volume> [options]
       kextcache -system-caches [options]

use kextcache -help for an explanation of each option

It's written in the usage, you have ony a - missing. So the command is:

Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

I reinstall and tried again and now it works with GraphicsEnabler=Yes but when i turn it into sleep mode it freeze the computer and it didn't shut down:(

This seems related to DSDT edits, look for your motherboard DSDT here in tonymac´s DSDT database, If you don´t know what I´m talking about you need a lot of reading, there are other threads about this matter.

Good luck

@aolivero: Thank you so much for all the files!

This is the first time i got the nvidia 10.8.2 drivers to run with my GTX 570 without grey screen login boot loop.
My Unigine score increased from 1550 to 1638.
Thank you!!!

@aolivero:
Thanks! My 550ti is working as great as it did in Lion! (also, unigine scores increased).

Ok,

let me summarize the way to change/update the NVidia Kext based on the experience of this thread. All this explanation refer to a ML with update 10.8.2 already installed!!!

1) At this moment there are 3 possible set of driver, based on:

a) Apple ML 10.8 DPL3
b) NVidia Driver ver 304.00.00f20 for ML 10.8.1
c) NVidia Driver ver 304.00.05f02 for ML 10.8.2

2) Every driver must be installed with the relative version of OpenGL / OpenCL Framework to work, because the driver have some reference to the frameworks itself.

I have attached to this post 3 archive that contain the driver and the associate framework to use for the desired solution. The archive 10.8.2 also contain the original ML NVidia kext released with version 10.8.2.

3) The instruction to backup and install driver and relative framework was posted by vczilla. The instruction require that you launch some command from the Terminal application and that you have administrator right in the sistem. Here I will reassume the procedure:

a) backup of the actual installed drivers and frameworks (if desired)

Code:
sudo cp -R /System/Library/{Extensions/{GeForce*,NVDA*},Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework} ~

This command will backup drivers and frameworks in the home folder (
~). If you want to make backup in a different place, change ~ with the desired path

b) install the desired version of kext using an utilty like KextHelper, that will copy the kext in the right folder and repair the permission. Choose to install in System/Library/Extension if more option is available. Not reboot after this step!!!

c) install the right version of the framework for the kext installed. There are a total of 6 command to launch in the terminal. <folder_that_contain_required_frameworks> must be replaced with the right path were the 3 required frameworks was saved/downloaded.

Code:
cd /<folder_that_contain_required_frameworks>

sudo rm -r /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}

sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenGL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework

sudo ditto --hfsCompression OpenCL.framework /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework

sudo ditto --hfsCompression GPUSupport.framework /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/{Frameworks/{OpenGL.framework,OpenCL.framework},PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework}

d) At this the installation is finish. If you want you can install the patch to enable OpenCL for all card, issuing still 1 command in the terminal. Note that the patch to use for driver ML10.8 DP3 is different from the patch to use for the other 2 version (NVidia) of the driver.

So for driver ML10.8 DP3 launch this command:

Code:
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x87\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x06\x8b\x87\x20\x0c\x00\x00\x89\x02/\x31\xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x06\xff\xc0\xff\xc0\x89\x02\x90\x90\x90\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

For other (NVidia) driver launch this command:

Code:
sudo perl -p -i.old -e '$c+=s/\x8b\x81\x1c\x0c\x00\x00\xeb\x06\x8b\x81\x20\x0c\x00\x00/\xb8\x02\x00\x00\x00\x90\xeb\x06\xb8\x00\x00\x00\x00\x90/; END { printf "%s: %d substitution%s made.\n",($c==1 ? "Success" : "Error"),$c,(!$c || $c>1 ? "s" : ""); $?=($c!=1); } ' /System/Library/Extensions/GeForceGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/libclh.dylib

At this point you have finish, cross your finger and reboot ....:clap:

Just one more think: I suppose that best solution depend on the graphics card and on the whole system. In my configuration the only solution that works perfectly (no freeze, no problem in change resolution) is the one based on ML 10.8 DPL3. With the NVidia driver the freeze problem are not solved.

Good luck.

Attached kext and relative framework:

Apple ML 10.8 DPL3: View attachment 33709
NVidia Driver ver 304.00.00f20: View attachment 33710
NVidia Driver ver 304.00.05f02: View attachment 33711

I love people with systematic brain process; Thanks aolivero for a very comprehensive input.
I believe that anyone who will follow this will reach fully working 10.8.2 in regards of nvidia cards.

Ok,

let me summarize the way to change/update the NVidia Kext based on the experience of this thread. All this explanation refer to a ML with update 10.8.2 already installed!!!

1) At this moment there are 3 possible set of driver, based on:

a) Apple ML 10.8 DPL3
b) NVidia Driver ver 304.00.00f20 for ML 10.8.1
c) NVidia Driver ver 304.00.05f02 for ML 10.8.2

Yesterday I tried to do it twice with Apple ML 10.8 DPL3. Today I had two freezes.

Logs:
Code:
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	IOVendorGLContext::ReportGPURestart 
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	0000006e
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	00200000 00009039 00000000 00000000
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	00000000 00000304 60010921 0000000a
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	00000000 00000000 00000000
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	00000000 00000000
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error
07.10.12 19:59:07,000	kernel[0]	00000069

Any ideas?

aolivero's solution does fix the sleep issue and the screen resolution issue as well, but it leaves my GTX 550 TI really slow, i think that means CL is disabled? i followed the tutorial, and the perl script output was "success", when i logged in the login form disappeared, but i wrote my password and pressed enter to login, i tried chess, it was really laggy and slow, Youtube videos didn't open, so i restored the original kexts, i had to revert to the original kext files that i -thankfully- backed up, any thoughts?

aolivero's solution does fix the sleep issue and the screen resolution issue as well, but it leaves my GTX 550 TI really slow, i think that means CL is disabled? i followed the tutorial, and the perl script output was "success", when i logged in the login form disappeared, but i wrote my password and pressed enter to login, i tried chess, it was really laggy and slow, Youtube videos didn't open, so i restored the original kexts, i had to revert to the original kext files that i -thankfully- backed up, any thoughts?
You need to patch AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ower-management-mountain-lion.html#post404583
Use 0x10de1244

Please note that is not "my solution" but as I wrote only a recap of all the possible kext analyzed in this thread.
Due to the fact that every system is different, probably solution that work on one system doesn't work in other.
To help the community, I suggest to add the following information after finding one working solution:

1) Motherboard and Graphic Card model (If not in your signature)
2) Used Kext and framework: (for me ML10.8 DP3)
3) Used BootLoader: (for me Chameleon 2.1 r2069)
4) Boot with GraphicEnabler=True or with patched DSDT (for me GraphicEnabler=True, working on DSDT solution for test....)
5) SMProductName in "Extra\SMBios.plist" (for me "MacPro3,1"). Especially note that this information is important and related to the "AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext". In fact "MacPro3,1" doesn't load this kext, for this reason I don't care about this. But my graphic card work very well with great result in OpenCL and OpenGL benchmark
6) Every further necessary information....

Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back