Graphics
EN8600GT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an Asus EN8600GT Magic video card that was working till now on a 10.5.8 installation....

Lately i have been trying to install a 10.6.8 OS
and while is was working perfect under 10.6.0 (with GraphicEnabler=Yes or with EFI string), after combo update 10.6.8 i get black screen....

Does anyone of you is kind enough to explain me how i am gonna make it work under 10.6.8 ?

regards

Konstantino

I have an Asus EN8600GT Magic video card that was working till now on a 10.5.8 installation....

and while is was working perfect under 10.6.0 (with GraphicEnabler=Yes or with EFI string), after combo update 10.6.8 i get black screen....

Does anyone of you is kind enough to explain me how i am gonna make it work under 10.6.8 ?

regards

Konstantino
did you install NVEnabler.kext?

I have tried to install one that i found on osx86.net forum http://www.osx86.net/files/file/1322-nvenabler with no luck any sugestions? should i try another one?

Haven't used the SL MultiBeast lately, but it used to have both NVEnabler and NVEnabler64 as choices in the drivers->graphics section. You need NVEnabler64 if you are running a 64 bit kernel.

When you installed the kext did you repair permissions and rebuild caches before rebooting or boot with -f to boot without caches?

In Multibeast for SL there is only ATI injectors and Patches under Graphics section...can i find these elsewhere?

I have read comments that suggest editing the playlist info of Nvdanv50hal.kext and Nvdaresman.kext (original) and add a string with Device and Vendor ID under IOPCIPrimaryMatch but How do i do that? also there is no such a string under Nvdaresman...

regards

Konstantino

sensi476

Have you tried to install OSX 10.6.7 update ... to see if you can get the OpenCL working ...
then the 10.6.8 - and if this is not working then we narrowed it down to kexts in SL 10.6.8
Also your using the correct SL combo update ....Apple has 4 of them....:D
suggest this one - http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399

Not much info on this card....on the web... w SL.

Some results on LION - and some indicators say the VGA port works?
nVidia made two production models of this chipset. Which could effect your EFI stings.

Its listed in the wiki pages.. on 10.6.7. as working but you need to use GFIutil... which is an old utility. (search for GFIutil)

http://www.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php/Graphics_Card_Database

You may want to try using some of these downloads for nVidia.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=9
Search the TMX site for what these nVidia Downloads do..

IMHO - this card has limited prospects... suggest a search for a 9500GT (EVGA) at your computer recycling center or online, even old computers may have this card or the 8400GS.

Hi there,
I have tried the combo update 10.6.7 and didn't work with GE=yes or efi string...
I had some success by installing the 10.6.8 v1.1 update and then the official NVIDIA drivers and added device ids at nvdav50hal and nvdaresman but it worked with no QE and only 8mb of ram (GE=no No efi string).....

Any suggestions from there?

I will look to these tonymac NVIDIA drivers (didn't know they exist).....

As last resort I will try to find another card.....

This what i got so far on 10.6.8

GeForce 8600 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0401
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 60.84.6B.00.14
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Display Connector:

This is with GraphicsEnabler=Yes
and also by inserting device ID on NVDANV50HAL.KEXT ONLY

BASICLY WITH NO QE AT THE MOMENT

ANY SUGESTIONS???

This what i got so far on 10.6.8

GeForce 8600 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600 GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0401
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 60.84.6B.00.14
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Display Connector:

This is with GraphicsEnabler=Yes
and also by inserting device ID on NVDANV50HAL.KEXT ONLY

BASICLY WITH NO QE AT THE MOMENT

ANY SUGESTIONS???
Looks like Apple totally dropped support for your card. If adding ID's to the NVDANxxHAL kexts + a string in the .boot.plist isn't working, Then I would get a different card. Having to add ID's into the kexts for every update is too much of a PITA as far as I am concerned.

What is your main board? socket 775, yes? You might want to consider upgrading board and CPU. You can get a board and CPU with HD3000/4000/4600 gfx on-CPU for what you would pay for a middle range gfx card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back