Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
NUC5i5RYB
CPU
i5 5250u
Graphics
HD Graphics 6000
Hello all,

As mentioned in the title, my NUC does not show any video output (through Display Port) during boot. To use it I have to blindly guess the right combination of {arrow keys, enter key} that boots me into OS X El Capitan. When I guess the combination, after a few seconds, I finally get the usual screen of OSX loading and the system then works great.

I tried to update to the latest BIOS fallowing a guide from Intel's website involving removing the security jumper and using a USB with a .bio file. This did not work unfortunately and I am not sure if the issue is really here.

I also tried removing the ssd and force the nuc to boot into a live usb with linux. Doing this I get intermitting / flickering video output (but still most of the time black). So basically nothing seems to work except El Capitan :/

At the moment I managed to boot into El Capitan and I am guessing there has to be something I can try inside Clover Configurator, but I really don't know what I can do. Please let me know what kind of information I can provide (output to commands etc.). Thank you.

I don't think the issue will be solved by messing around with your Clover setup. You are likely to mess up your El Capitan install not fix the Bios graphics boot issue.

This sounds like a bios option being set incorrectly, i.e. the default graphics output is not set to your DisplayPort, possibly it is set to another display output (HDMI or VGA?).

We have no idea what other display outputs your system has available, as you haven't stated which NUC you are using.

I would try connecting the monitor to any alternative display output options, to see if the Bios and Intel Splash screen appear. Then you can enter the bios and set the default output to your DisplayPort connector and not have this issue.

Updating a Bios firmware without good reason, i.e. the new bios is designed to fix a known problem you are facing on your system, or you are upgrading a CPU and the new CPU only works with the new bios. Most of the time the Bios just works and should not be messed around or changed, not without good reason.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I mentioned the model in the title: 5i5ryk.
I will buy a miniHDMI to HDMI cable and try your suggestion. Does this wrong bios option explain the intermitted/flickering output in the linux live? I don't get any of this with El Capitan.

I got the idea of updating the BIOS from Intel's website (but I know it's a good idea not to mess with it).

Sorry, don't know how I missed the name in the post title! So it is a Broadwell NUC.

I would recommend you purchase the mini-HDMI cable from Amazon or another online retailer, that way if it doesn't fix the issue you can RMA the cable and get your money back.

No the Bios setting being incorrect would have little if any bearing on the Linux screen flickering issue. That will be an issue with the drivers or cable most likely.

Are you currently using a miniDP to miniDP cable or different type of miniDP adapter cable?
What connection are you using on the display, mini-DP, DP, HDMI, DVI or a VGA (hope not) connector?

I purchased a miniHDMI to HDMI cable; it should come in 4-5 days. I will see how it goes and update the discussion.

Currently I am using a miniDP to DP cable, no adapters.

I asked because my son uses a miniDP to HDMI cable from his MacBook Pro to connect his TV. The 'adapter' cables can be temperamental and really don't like being unplugged too often.

Hopefully the new cable will enable you to access your bios and fix this issue.

Using the miniHDMI output, it works fine. Changing the default video output in the BIOS to 'DisplayPort' does not solve the original issue :/
I guess I will just stick to using the HDMI cable.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back