Contribute
Register

Now that the new Mac Pro specs are out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GB Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
Graphics
ATI 580rx
Mac
  1. iMac
I was waiting till the new Mac Pro specs were announced to really start thinking about Hackintoshes again.

I'm a composer, and the new MP's single very, very fast HD and dual GPU's will not suit my needs and are overkill. I do, however, want an extremely fast processor setup.

My last Hackintosh worked amazingly well for a while, and then everything started to fall apart. I blamed it on the Hackintosh - it wasn't until I bought a 2012 Mac Pro that I realized it was my Apogee Ensemble and external hard drives causing the problems.

SO, I'm open to making a new Hackintosh. But - I'm hoping for a few things.

A) Is there flawless Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 now?
B) What are the best options for getting an 8-core setup now? How about a 12-core? I read that the new Mac Pro uses a more expensive single socket setup instead of a double socket setup. What is that about?

Thanks!

Until you can buy a Gigabyte Z87X-UD7H TH, I'd look at BoomR"s Golden Build so you don't succumb to overkill.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-32gb-hd4000.html
Although his build is a Ivy Bridge system (instead of a newer Haswell system), he has some excellence advise as does his other thread in the Music forum section.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/87502-old-dog-new-tricks-using-hd4000-your-pro-audio-daw-builds.html
BoomR's other "sticky" threads in the Music section are good reads, too. :thumbup:

Okay - but there are multiple boards that have thunderbolt now - is that specific board the only one that will support it properly? And is USB 3.0 supported properly yet?

Okay - but there are multiple boards that have thunderbolt now - is that specific board the only one that will support it properly? And is USB 3.0 supported properly yet?

My Thunderbolt and USB 3 has been perfect on my 1.25 year old Ivy Bridge machine. Sometimes the front USB3 ports have issues with certain hardware but the back ones are flawless. I never sleep the system only do regular startup / shutdown. (sometimes restoring from sleep causes usb devices to reset).

Best hackintoshes right now are quad core or less. I've seen some good 6-core machines but what software do you have that uses more then 4 cores? If you are, then you can afford to buy the new mac pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back