2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My 10.8.4 install was using an old Parallels version and I learned I needed to upgrade my Parallels software if I'll be upgrading my OSX.

Checked the Parallels website and they have a 10th anniversary sale going on... Parallels Desktop Pro for Mac for $37.50 going on right now... 4 days left I think.

Bought it and now it's running beautifully on El Capitan. Just sharing this great deal.

Moved to Deals of the day.

Why would you use Parallels if you have a real PC? You need to copy/paste stuff between Win & Mac on a regular basis? Check websites as a developer?

Why would you use Parallels if you have a real PC? You need to copy/paste stuff between Win & Mac on a regular basis? Check websites as a developer?

Running IIS and Microsoft SQL Server on the Windows Machine.

Also, some programs don't have any equivalent on the OSX side, like MS SQL Management program, Visual Studio, etc.

Running IIS and Microsoft SQL Server on the Windows Machine.

Also, some programs don't have any equivalent on the OSX side, like MS SQL Management program, Visual Studio, etc.

Uh. Yes. But why don't you just also install windows on your PC and boot into Windows if you need MS SQL? Why have the extra layer of a VM? You need to use Mac and Win programs at the same time? Just curious.

>Why have the extra layer of a VM? You need to use Mac and Win programs at the same time? Just curious.

Yes, need both running at the same time. IIS web server and SQL Server running on Windows box, while I develop on Mac platform. I then map the multiple virtual websites using a host file on Mac.

Plus, with a VM, I can do multiple "snapshots/backups" and rollback to a previous saved state easily. You can't do that on a non-virtual machine.

careful with this. They will have a paid upgrade with the new version of OS X later this year.

careful with this. They will have a paid upgrade with the new version of OS X later this year.
This. I believe the reason there have been deals popping up for Parallels lately is because in the past, purchases made in August have been eligible for a free upgrade to the latest version when it comes out in the fall. What they are doing now is trying to get as many folks as possible to purchase before August so that those purchases will not be covered by the free upgrade offer. Buy before August and you will have to pay for the next version which should be coming soon.

Maybe. If you're on the mailing list, they send out pretty enticing offers for upgrades regularly (i.e. you don't have to pay full price). The longer you wait, the more ridiculous the discounts they give you. Only reason I held out longer is because I was on Mountain Lion, and had no need to upgrade until now.

Anyways, the upgrade price of $38 is well worth it, Parallels now run even faster than my old version.
Win10 is a dog though. Using the same specs VM, Win7 is several times faster running Visual Studio 2015. -- it's not even funny how dog-slow Windows 10 is.

One hidden cost of upgrading to latest El Capitan is the need to upgrade alot of my old software. A little $20 here, $40 there, it adds up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back