Contribute
Register

Nothing plays on TV app (blank but with control overlays showing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tenicasopr and Asural,

I was already using Whatevergreen 1.3.5. Unlike Asural, I am not using
VoodooTSCSync. I have three HP 8300s, two with RX560 DGPU, and one
with a Kepler GT730. I am currently testing with 1015.2 beta (19C46a).

I already did the testing with all the different boot arguments available and the only one that work for me was:

shikigva=160
shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94

And it's not a typo because I copy and paste it directly from the original source document which is "FAQ.Shiki.en.md"
I really like to make it work with something else and not have to spoof a different id-board, especially because iMac 17,1 SMBIOS is suppose to be one of the boards supported. But it seems that the spoofing is done only between the Apple Services, the system keeps working with the original SMBIOS which is important for better hardware functionality and power management. When I read the article I thought that the best option could be: shikigva=16, because this is suppose to be use for enabling AMD DRM for Music, Safari, TV, leaving IGPU for other applications. But when I tried, I didn't work for me. I'll try again when I have time and see if I find another piece of the puzzle. But right now the one that I'm using, (which is recomended for MacPro 5,1) is working fine with my system...

For the record, I'm able to play DRM movies purchased from Apple (not streamed) without any Shiki boot arguments (WhateverGreen 1.3.5). I haven't tried any streamed content. Skimming through the Shiki code, it appears to default QuickTime and AppleTV to software decoding versus hardware. The iGPU (HD530) is used for non-DRM H264 content based on Intel Power Gadget. I'll have to experiment with the AMD-decoding options when I get a chance although I'm satisfied for now that it works.

For the record, I'm able to play DRM movies purchased from Apple (not streamed) without any Shiki boot arguments (WhateverGreen 1.3.5). I haven't tried any streamed content. Skimming through the Shiki code, it appears to default QuickTime and AppleTV to software decoding versus hardware. The iGPU (HD530) is used for non-DRM H264 content based on Intel Power Gadget. I'll have to experiment with the AMD-decoding options when I get a chance although I'm satisfied for now that it works.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm still testing and investigating. DRM is a complex topic and I'm still learning how is manage, (by software or hardware), and what are the rules that establish when hardware or software is going to be applied. I suspect is ruled by default by configuration related with the SMBIOS but that can by overridden by some sort of independent rules within the different apps or services.
In my case Apple TV+ was not functioning, by spoofing another SMBIOS I succeed. WhateverGreen (which has shiki integrated) has a list of different boot arguments for different possible situations that can be applied depending on the hardware combination being use.
To be sure what made the TV+ app work in my situation, I decided to isolate the rest of the arguments and use exclusively only the one related with spoofing without the additional options. I ended testing shikigva=32 shiki-id=Mac-7BA5B2D9E42DDD94 (which is spoofing without additional functions). With this test now I'm sure that by only spoofing without additional boot arguments I can make Apple TV+ work on my system. Some people believe spoofing doesn't works base on not being able to play DRM content with Netflix using the macOS native browser, Safari. But the shiki/WhateverGrenn FAQ makes clear and I quote: "Netflix limited their 1080p content for very few mac models even excluding most Mac Pros."
The FAQ is very documented but needs a little more explanation of the different options.
I'm going to keep testing and will report back again...

Here again to report that I just tried again the shikigva=16 boot argument alone without spoofing another id and now it works. The reason it didn't work before was because I forgot to rebuild KextCache and repair permissions.

I had the same problem with asus z370 f-gaiming, intel i7 8700x, AMD RX580 smbios iMAC 18.1 Hackintool said VDA coder failed. After I change the smbios to Imac Pro 1.1, Hackintool said VDA coder fully supported and Apple TV+ work!

I had the same problem with asus z370 f-gaiming, intel i7 8700x, AMD RX580 smbios iMAC 18.1 Hackintool said VDA coder failed. After I change the smbios to Imac Pro 1.1, Hackintool said VDA coder fully supported and Apple TV+ work!

Yea I been telling people this but some people have lots of software and they do not want to move around their serial numbers. My Girls hack uses a gaming F

Good News: The WhateverGreen/Shiki FAQ document was updated (credit to vit9696). Now without the need to switch to a different SMBIOS (I'm using iMac 17,1 AAPL,ig-platform-id 0100001219) I have working Apple TV+ and Netflix on Safari using the boot argument shikigva=80

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 12.50.40 PM.png

For more info read FAQ.Shiki.en.md at the WhateverGreen GitHub web page. :clap::lol::thumbup:

Good News: The WhateverGreen/Shiki FAQ document was updated (credit to vit9696). Now without the need to switch to a different SMBIOS (I'm using iMac 17,1 AAPL,ig-platform-id 0100001219) I have working Apple TV+ and Netflix on Safari using the boot argument shikigva=80

View attachment 439575
For more info read FAQ.Shiki.en.md at the WhateverGreen GitHub web page. :clap::lol::thumbup:
Yes ! With shikigva=80, Apple TV+ is finally working even on my ancient R9 290x ! vit9696 is really a Hackintosh mastermind :)

Do you have HVEC encoding and decoding? The whole reason for changing to Mac Pro 1,1 is to get DRM content and HEVC hardware encoding/decoding. Maybe you do not need that part to work I do not either but I like everything to work just the same.

Do you have HVEC encoding and decoding? The whole reason for changing to Mac Pro 1,1 is to get DRM content and HEVC hardware encoding/decoding. Maybe you do not need that part to work I do not either but I like everything to work just the same.
Yes, I do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back