Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3
CPU
i7 2600K
Graphics
RX 560
This is not a guide as such, but more of a what worked/didn't work. Hardware is a GA-Z68X-UD4 and a 2600k CPU with 8GB of RAM. This setup has worked flawlessly since OS X 10.6.8 all the way through to 10.9.5, with minimal problems upgrading, etc. However, Yosemite turned into more of a challenge:

1. You must have a UEFI bios installed - on my "legacy" bios that had worked from 10.6 to 10.9, I could not get a clean boot.

2. My first attempt was with Unibeast/Multibeast/Chimera from this site. I was able to get Yosemite to boot only with the AppleACPIPlatform rollback installed - without that, I got errors around [PCI configuration begin]

3. Once the AppleACPIPlatform rollback was done, I could boot maybe 50% of the time; the other 50% the boot sequence failed at various points. However, if the boot was successful, the system ran fine from then on.

4. To get round the 50% boot success problem, I chose to change to Clover for the boot loader. I upgraded to Clover using the guide on this site (http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html), obviously substituting Yosemite for Mavericks. I used Clover_v2k_r2953, and the UEFI option for the install. The kexts installed were the usual FakeSMC.kext, as well as RealtekRTL81xx.kext for networking. Initially I used the config.plist from the guide.

5. The Clover install booted ok, but with some p-state errors.

6. My first attempt at dealing with the p-state errors was to create a ssdt using the HP ProBook Installer. That worked, a clean boot with no errors, and the system ran fine. The only slight problem was that at idle, there was a very faint high pitched whine, probably coming from the motherboard's DC to DC converters.

7. As a result of the whine problem, I removed the ssdt, and reconfigured Clover with "Drop OEM", "Generate P states" and "Generate C states" set to on. That resolved the whine and gives no error messages on boot, although power management is probably somewhat less efficient that if I was using the ssdt.

8. Finally, I reinstalled the original AppleACPIPlatform.kext. This worked fine - it appears that the roll back is only needed only for the Chimera boot loader.

Recommendations:

Having gone through this process, I'd recommend the following:

1. Go directly to Clover rather than the Unibeast/Multibeast route - it's more trouble/less convenient, but in my case worked much better.

2. When you install Clover, it's probably best to set "Drop OEM", "Generate P states" and "Generate C states" to on immediately.

Could you send me your SSDT?

Thanks heaps. That helps me !

Thanks for the tips! Has anyone had a chance to get USB3.0 working with Clover? I'm working on the on-board sound right now but haven't come across a pure Clover solution for either. My search will continue...

Hey man, I know this was a long time back that you did this, but you didn't run into USBMSC Unique Identifier Freeze? I'm stuck there with both Multibeast and Clover. Although with Multibeast it's a /mach_kernel error and Clover is USBMSC. Either way, both stop in the middle of the apple.

Hello.

I need your help guys.
I'm trying to install Yosemite, but all I got is a black screen.
Got i5-2500K / GA Z68XPUD4 with UEFI u1l / GTX 570 / 32GB Ram, got a usb stick with 10.10.5 and unibeast.
The installation process turns into a black screen just after it says smth about ACPI_platform.
I've tried -x, npci=0x2000 (3000), cpus=1... Nothing worked.
Any suggestions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back