Contribute
Register

Not Yet Another G5 Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
The apple logo was just an iPhone home button sticker I got off eBay. Originally it had a chrome ring around it. Over the years, that came off.

Last edited:
So when I first started looking into G5 mods, I found this interesting Display + iMac stand mod, and I knew I wanted to do the same. I didn't hate the stand that my Samsung UR55 came with but since my desk is so small, it just took a lot of space I feel like.

View attachment 500663
(Sorry about the messy background) I got the iMac stand from Ebay for 30$ and it's in almost like new condition though with some marks of use. The iMac Vesa mount adapter I got from amazon, luckily my monitor uses the 75x75 mount so I didn't have to get an adapter for that. I also got some M3 screws to put this thing together with.

View attachment 500664View attachment 500665
View attachment 500666
All put together, it's not necessarily the most beautiful thing out there but it does the trick! I'm contemplating if I should spray paint it with the same color than my G5 to create more contrast between the stand and the display.
But for now I'm gonna leave it as it is, overall I think it looks pretty clean.
Nice job! :)

Nicely done sir. I did something similar for my wife's monitor. Her's is a Dell. I ended up painting that part semi-gloss black. It came out real nice, and the capacitive buttons still work. I think maybe skip painting it silver.
Looks good and clean! I love the little apple logo, nice touch. Yours is attached with a different mechanism, does the tilt work that way?

Looks good and clean! I love the little apple logo, nice touch. Yours is attached with a different mechanism, does the tilt work that way?
Thank you sir. Yes, the tilt does still work that way, but it's a much older imac stand. Yours is newer and more sleek. I think the mechanism is different. I really like how sharp yours looks with the newer design.

Oh, you know what just hit me? I forgot you had already painted your entire case with that nice dark color. So let me correct my above statement:

Yes, I think painting the stand and monitor chin that same color would look great!

Last edited:
So I was visiting a different city and ended up browsing craiglist, and there I found this beauty of a Mac Pro 2007 for a very good price. Admittedly I might have a problem but it was $75 and in a great shape and I knew I would want to do this again, so I thought to myself why not.

IMG_2932.jpg
IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg
IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

I'm not sure when will I actually start working on this, but I want to keep it look more stock this time.
I want to use the original power plug and do minimal cutting. I mostly likely won't paint the case this time, but I am considering getting it professionally anodized. I don't know how I'm gonna do the back panel yet, but if anyone has any good ideas how to keep it looking nice I'm open for ideas.

Yup, you got the bug alright. Nice catch btw, she's a keeper. Mad86 has a nice looking Mac Pro. The back came out looking real nice:

But... does the computer still work? If it does, you could always use a patched version of Mojave to run on your machine, and drop a gtx 760 in there.

Yup, you got the bug alright. Nice catch btw, she's a keeper. Mad86 has a nice looking Mac Pro. The back came out looking real nice:

But... does the computer still work? If it does, you could always use a patched version of Mojave to run on your machine, and drop a gtx 760 in there.
That's indeed a very impressive mod, though it might be a little too ambitious project for me. The computer does turn on and the seller said it works, but I haven't been able to test it yet properly. I might just do that for now, but my idea was to mod the case at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back