Contribute
Register

Not Shy's Guide To BIOS Settings / Memory & CPU Testing

Thank you for this!

My POST takes forever and I was thinking that my BIOS setting wasn't efficient.

Will be tryin this out when I get home. :headbang:

JohnFante said:
Just wanted to share (to the ones that do not know already) that you can get modified BIOS's for gigabyte motherboards over at TweakTown. And if your system is not listed you can get them to make one as long as you supply the original.

The modification is that they upgrade the firmware for the parts on your mothereboard where it is possiblem. I have a GA-EX58-UD4P and they supplied a new BIOS (14q - beta) with updated firmware for ICH10R, Realteck and the jMicron (gigabyte) raid.

My system runs fast and stable with the upgraded firmwares. I have not made any speed messaurements but it feels like the Windows 7 Raid setup I have on the jMicron runs faster than usual.

The thread is here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/48 ... -bios.html

This seems cool but I don't know if it would impact on anything for your DSDT.

I have recently upgrade my mobo from H61 to a Z68X- UD5.... couldnt wait for the Z77X series... anyway with my limted but growning knowledge of how things work in the hackintosh world.... I just wanted to say a Big Thankyou to you NOT SHY :headbang: :headbang:

Your tips/ guide on how things work in the BIOS helped me heaps. Not only did I get faster boot up times, but I have got a better undestand of what I am actually doing in there now. I just figured I wanted to acknowledge that your efforts arent much appreicated. So thanks once again. Godo work man

Cheers

If yr writes are slow, try this.

If you have a GA-Z68X mobo i just just need to change yr BIOS settings.

5 steps:
1. go to bios front page
2. mb Intelli Tweaker
3.Advance Frequnce Setting
4.Advance CPU core settings
5.Look for C3/C6 stat support. Default is auto or enable change it to Disable. Save it reboot.

Hey Not Shy I was wondering could you help me out.

My Z68mx - ud2h - b3 rev.1.0 is recognizing my processor as 3.70ghz when the processor I bought was the i7 3770k running at 3.4ghz. The processor in its current state is not being recognized by Mountain Lion and causing me install problems.

Could I be damaging the processor? Why when I boot in -v mode does it say its a not recognized CPU when Mountain Lion supports Ivy Bridge.

Any help you could give me would be great.

Thanks

Forgot to say this is a great post, thanks for taking the time to creating and sharing it with others. Also this is very daunting, I break out in cold sweats every time I edit the BIOS! I have a few questions about where to find settings, or what to set them to. Hoping that someone has been down this route before and knows where to find these on a Gigabyte Z87X-OC.

No-Execute Memory Protect ? Where do I find that?
Kingston memory - I found a pdf on the Kingston site with some settings, but is there a forum to find the optimal settings?
HPET Support and Mode - Where are these?

The BIOS administration page has a Performance tab that I can select Memory on after. DRAM Timing Selectable is Auto, is that where I'd set the memory settings? Or do I set that under Channel A and Channel B?

I'm going through the Advanced CPU Core Features Bios settings of my GA-Z87X-OC and there is "Enabled" option for some of the features. Instead of just leaving them as Auto I though I'd ask to see if how to determine their optimal settings:

CPU PLL Selection -- Currently set to Auto, but could choose: LCPLL or SBPLL
Filter PLL Level -- Currently set to Auto, but could choose: Low or High
Uncore Ratio - Set to 35, can choose anything between 28 and 37

Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology is set to Enabled, but it has the following four sub options:
1 Turbo Ratio (1-Core Active) Set to Auto or I could choose 39
2 Turbo Ratio (2-Core Active) Set to Auto or I could choose 39
3 Turbo Ratio (3-Core Active) Set to Auto or I could choose 38
4 Turbo Ratio (4-Core Active) Set to Auto or I could choose 37

Turbo Power limit (Watts) seems to be unlimited options, did not scroll through them all, but Auto is currently selected which also seems to mean that it is using 84, I could choose 1 - 300+?
Core Current Limit(Amps) same ideas as above, set to Auto, which seems to mean that it is using 95, I could choose 10 - 300+ ?

CPU Core Enabled - Current Set to Auto which seems to imply 4, I could manually select 1,2,3,or4 instead of auto

Is there a program like speed fan and prime 95 to test cpu under OSX mavericks?

The guide is cool but what is the reason to test it under windows? it eliminates all the purpose of benchmarking mavericks or osx on your hackintosh

YES!!! I found this one: http://systester.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

It would be nice to have an updated guide for new UEFI BIOS motherboards; I'm having troubles with a Gigabyte z97x-ud5h and found that many settings are missing and other not showed in the guide are there

Back