Contribute
Register

Not Shy's Guide To BIOS Settings / Memory & CPU Testing

Sounds a bit strange to me - I'd consider re-flashing the BIOS and load optimised defaults again. I remember that there were two options to toggle when you flash your BIOS using QFlash and I'm trying to find the thread where I was told to toggle one of them when having issues.

I'll try having another read of some old threads.

what format must the Hard Drive be ?
(wouldn`t like to have a FAT32 drive, because I have to move large files and have many NTFS portable HD`s)

Hi,

I was going through the Bios optimization but I am not sure if there are different setting for an i7 2600k or for the new z68 boards I have the ud5-b3 running on F4 right now.

Questions on the following settings not discussed in the guide:

Real Time Ratio control on/off

XMP Profile 1 or Disabled

Multi Step Load Line on/off

Performance Ehancement Std / Turbo

EFI CD boot option Auto / Enabled

USB3 Turbo on/off (not that I have usb3 recognized right now)

lucky777s said:
Hi,

I was going through the Bios optimization but I am not sure if there are different setting for an i7 2600k or for the new z68 boards I have the ud5-b3 running on F4 right now.

Questions on the following settings not discussed in the guide:

Real Time Ratio control on/off

XMP Profile 1 or Disabled

Multi Step Load Line on/off

Performance Ehancement Std / Turbo

EFI CD boot option Auto / Enabled

USB3 Turbo on/off (not that I have usb3 recognized right now)

Bump for this. Especially "EFI CD boot option Auto / Enabled" What are the opinions on this? Should I leave it at Auto, or enable EFI?

This realates only to booting from cd. I left it on and installed with no problem.

dude, how to test speedstep and turbo boost(2.0) for cpu? Thanks a lot.

I ordered a custom BlackPearl pc from Cyberpower. I was wondering, since this is not an at home-made-from-scratch-computer wether I should tweak the BIOS settings for the ram. I havent gotten it yet so I can't check any of this, yet. Also, due to a holiday special (woo!), it will come with 24 gigs of ram (4X6) which haven't heard of any hackintosh having.

P0CKS said:
I ordered a custom BlackPearl pc from Cyberpower. I was wondering, since this is not an at home-made-from-scratch-computer wether I should tweak the BIOS settings for the ram. I havent gotten it yet so I can't check any of this, yet. Also, due to a holiday special (woo!), it will come with 24 gigs of ram (4X6) which haven't heard of any hackintosh having.

Is this build the same one in your signature? I have seen 24 GB of RAM in hack builds before.

You should get comfortable with BIOS settings and stress testing before you start tweaking anything or write down all of your settings first so that you can easily restore them.

My guide recommends stability over OC-ing. Plus I do not think that OC-ing RAM will get you that much performance - lowering the timings gives better results than increasing clock speed based on some things I read when I first looked into it.

notshy said:
2. I would suggest following Lnx2Mac's excellent and detailed commentary post on how to configure your BIOS for a hack
http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/07/optimal-bios-configuration.html
It is a very good guide for settings for a gigabyte BIOS and many of the settings should be the same across different MOBOs but note the points below about different RAM and CPU settings depending on what gear you have.

This guide helped me immensely, and it's a great tool to use for cross referencing with notshy's guide here. now, i've finally got my 16gb corsair vengeance ram up to speed, 1600 mhz. it used to run at 1333 mhz for some reason. scratch that one off the list :)

thank you very much for the extremely helpful and informative guide. excited to foliow the rest of it.

t_fuzz

t_fuzz said:
This guide helped me immensely, and it's a great tool to use for cross referencing with notshy's guide here. now, i've finally got my 16gb corsair vengeance ram up to speed, 1600 mhz. it used to run at 1333 mhz for some reason. scratch that one off the list :)

thank you very much for the extremely helpful and informative guide. excited to foliow the rest of it.

t_fuzz

Glad to help! :clap:

Back