i7-4770K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I'm trying to get my hackOSX going again after I broke it a few years back... been lasy and running on windows as well as a straight MBP.

I'm thinking to put it on Catalina as that's what I'm currenty on on my MBP.. separate question - should I just skip Catalina and go straight to Big Sur, Monteray or Ventura? I'm on a (pretty old now) Haswell set up with a 4770k processor.

I have "csrutil" disable and checked the status to confirm that.
I've run Unibeast several times now using different USB sticks and ports - 16gb and 32gb sticks.
I'm following the instructions to a T.
I've tried all the USB ports in the hack also.

My bios never picks up the USB to boot from. It also doesn't show up on Multibeast boot screen which I would think it should.

I should probably upgrade the system on my MBP anyway, I wonder if that could help?

Any pointers? Thanks!

Seems my profile is out of date, here's the build:

Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H Socket 1150 HDMI DVI DP m-ATX Motherboard
Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB
Crucial 16GB kit (8GBx2) DDR3 1600 MT/s (PC3-12800) CL9

Hi,

I'm trying to get my hackOSX going again after I broke it a few years back... been lasy and running on windows as well as a straight MBP.

I'm thinking to put it on Catalina as that's what I'm currenty on on my MBP.. separate question - should I just skip Catalina and go straight to Big Sur, Monteray or Ventura? I'm on a (pretty old now) Haswell set up with a 4770k processor.

I have "csrutil" disable and checked the status to confirm that.
I've run Unibeast several times now using different USB sticks and ports - 16gb and 32gb sticks.
I'm following the instructions to a T.
I've tried all the USB ports in the hack also.

My bios never picks up the USB to boot from. It also doesn't show up on Multibeast boot screen which I would think it should.

I should probably upgrade the system on my MBP anyway, I wonder if that could help?

Any pointers? Thanks!

Hi there.

32GB sticks no good unless you partition down to max 16GB. UniBeast, and the system, won't work with a larger partition.

HD4600 not supported in Ventura (I believe)

Check BIOS for CSM setting. Try "the other" to see if boot sticks show up.

If not then double-check the format/partition of the USB stick using the MBP. GUID / macOS Journaled etc.

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Tried your suggestion regarding the partitioning 16gb or below. No good.

CSM setting is greyed out on my bios and I'm struggling to find out why.

I'm now on Monterey on my MBP and currently trying again to insert Unibeast Catalina on a disk.

Also attempting to follow instructions on making a Monterey installer, though I'm a complete noob on OC or Cameleon with python. No programming knowledge at all really. Dunno why I'm doing this at all really.

Something to note, Unibeast takes ages to finish. Not 10-20mins, more like 90mins. Seems to have finished writing to USB after about 10mins but then gets stuck and takes another hour or so to finish. This was quite similar when I used terminal to make a Monterey USB installer.

Thanks for your help :)

Jake

Thanks for your help. Tried your suggestion regarding the partitioning 16gb or below. No good.

CSM setting is greyed out on my bios and I'm struggling to find out why.

I'm now on Monterey on my MBP and currently trying again to insert Unibeast Catalina on a disk.

Also attempting to follow instructions on making a Monterey installer, though I'm a complete noob on OC or Cameleon with python. No programming knowledge at all really. Dunno why I'm doing this at all really.

Something to note, Unibeast takes ages to finish. Not 10-20mins, more like 90mins. Seems to have finished writing to USB after about 10mins but then gets stuck and takes another hour or so to finish. This was quite similar when I used terminal to make a Monterey USB installer.

Thanks for your help :)

Jake

When UniBeast eventually finishes do you see the green tick mark or the yellow exclamation mark?

16gb *is* correct, an not "no good".

Check your BIOS settings. Perhaps set operating system to "Other" instead of "Windows" if that is an option.

Check EHCI hand-off and Is Enabled.

Check VT-d is Disabled (for now).

Ensure you format your USB stick as "macOS Journaled" (HFS+).

Above for Catalina.

If you wish to try Monterey you have to use the "Release" Terminal command to create your installer (in the Monterey beta install guide), then add a custome EFI folder to the hidden EFI partition (UEFI) or main disk root (Legacy).

Finally, if you are "following the instructions to a T" the problem is likely BIOS setting related.

:)

Thanks for your help.

- headline - Having moved MBP on to Monterey, I was then able to successfully use Unibeast to make a working boot-USB. Getting somewhere.

Unibeast - green tick, yes.

"No good" - sorry, this was in reference to the fact it still wasn't working having partitioned to below 16gb.

Yes, stick always been MacOS Journaled hfs+.

Can't disable VT-d for some reason. I'm going to check firmware on MB is updated. May help.

Thanks for your assistance. Sorry if my comments may seem flippant.

I'll see if I can get this thing going again on Catalina and then consider more work on Monterey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back