Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/AURA
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530
I only plan to use my computer for coding, hacking and occasionally doing some really basic Photoshop edits. I would like to triple boot Windows 10 / Sierra / Ubuntu. I will also need to run virtual machines. I don't mind only being connected via Ethernet. I can do without wifi at the moment.

The real question is : Do I really need to purchase a GPU?

Intel Core i7 6700K - $319.97
Gigabyte (GA-Z170X-Gaming 7) Motherboards - $129.99
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) - $119.88
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200RPM SATA - $65.00
(3) Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD - $104.49
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1, 80+ GOLD 650W, Power Supply - $74.99
Corsair Hydro Series H55 Quiet Edition Liquid CPU Cooler - $59.99
Corsair Carbide Series Black 300R Mid-Tower Computer Case - $69.99
Thermal Paste - $7.14

Total: $1,160

I have all the basic tools, is there anything else I should look into purchasing for this build ! I would like to have most of the standard OX features working so if I can find a decent wifi / bt I would buy it.

P.S. Do I need to purchase cables?

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like you need a dedicated graphics card. The Intel HD 530 should be fine for you.

If you want to use iMessage, Handoff, etc., you will need a compatible Wifi/Bluetooth card. Other than that, I don't think there's anything else you need to purchase.

It doesn't sound like you need a dedicated graphics card. The Intel HD 530 should be fine for you.

If you want to use iMessage, Handoff, etc., you will need a compatible Wifi/Bluetooth card. Other than that, I don't think there's anything else you need to purchase.

That was my initial thought but a friend of mine suggested a mid range graphics cards because I will be running virtual machines. I'm going to build it out and add a gpu if I feel it is needed. I'm still working out the details for the wifi/bt capabilities, there are a lot of suggestions on the site.

Yes, I think a wait and see approach is wise.

For Wifi/Bluetooth, it is best to use a card that was originally pulled from a Mac (such as BCM94360CD, BCM94360CS, etc) with a PCI-e adaptor. Fenvi sells cards that are very popular among hackintosh users.

I would be running Pro Audio application, albeit CPU intensive, but I don't need extra fans adding to the noise, so I'm in the same boat, unless a GPU helps take load off the system and there are fanless ones you could recommend that can drive a large ultra-wide 4K display.

As far as I know, most (all?) of the more recent Nvidia graphics cards (i.e. 900-series/1000-series) have semi-passive cooling. This means that their fans remain off until there is enough load on the GPU to cause it to heat up. Then, the fan ramps up based on how hot it's running. Since you won't be running anything graphics intensive, I would imagine the fans would remain off most of the time.

Another option would be a 100% passive solution such as: http://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=2823
Keep in mind that even with a 100% passively cooled graphics card, decent ventilation within the case is still needed.

Secondly, since you will be driving a 4K display, it's highly recommended that you look for a graphics card that has DisplayPort 1.2. This will allow your monitor to run at 60Hz. Below 60Hz may result in subpar image quality and/or flickering.

To help keep your system, cool and quiet, I suggest considering delidding your CPU and employing the use of quality heatsink and fans such as those from Noctua.

As far as I know, most (all?) of the more recent Nvidia graphics cards (i.e. 900-series/1000-series) have semi-passive cooling. This means that their fans remain off until there is enough load on the GPU to cause it to heat up. Then, the fan ramps up based on how hot it's running. Since you won't be running anything graphics intensive, I would imagine the fans would remain off most of the time.
Thanks @pastrychef ! That makes sense! But the bigger question for me is "is the GPU necessary?" I would prefer to save the $$ UNLESS onboard GPU adds strain on CPU/Memory."

Secondly, since you will be driving a 4K display, it's highly recommended that you look for a graphics card that has DisplayPort 1.2. This will allow your monitor to run at 60Hz. Below 60Hz may result in subpar image quality and/or flickering.
I was looking at a Z270M-D3P which has 2 Display ports, but I have seen people successfully drive displays via Thunderbolt, which not only gives you video, but expands IO such as USB 3 to the display itself which is very convenient coming from iMac.

To help keep your system, cool and quiet, I suggest considering delidding your CPU and employing the use of quality heatsink and fans such as those from Noctua.

It's very important for me to have the smallest form factor possible, hence the Z270M-D3P, which is mATX appeal. For expansion I would only need the following:
1. TB3 card http://www.gigabyte.in/Motherboard/GC-ALPINE-RIDGE-rev-10#ov,
2. this FW card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002S53IG8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
3. and one of these 10GbE Intel X540 NICs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BGTTIUC/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Thank you again for your guidance @pastrychef

Last edited by a moderator:
The integrated GPU should be fine for you. You can always add a dedicated graphics card later if you find the IGPU inadequate.

If you want Thunderbolt, you must choose a motherboard that has Thunderbolt support. Adding a Thunderbolt PCI-e card to a motherboard that does not have Thunderbolt support will not work.

I've never used the Intel 10GbE cards, so I don't know how well they work and how much work is required to get them to work.

A point that may be self-evident and obvious, but still worth keeping in mind: you can build your system without a graphics card and add one later. Try it out without a graphics card and evaluate how well it's working for you - including whether you need one to drive your 4k monitor.

I did exactly this and didn't get around to adding the card until a year or two later. On top of that, prices fall on cards. The only downside really is opening up your machine after the fact.

To be honest, I did this to drive a larger 4k monitor - and I probably could have done without it, as I don't like the way Mac OS looks at very high resolutions - text, menus, etc., are too small. I could probably fiddle with this and get it working differently but it looks great at high but not top resolution. In the end, the card helps, but for what I use the computer for, wasn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back