Contribute
Register

Not a Deal of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to clear up M1 GPU thing a bit. I have the 8 core GPU in the MBA and it's metal score is around 20000, in my 7040 user build the RX 560 MSI AERO scores 22000.

I find the GPU on the M1 extremely impressive. I dream of the possibilities if/when Apple separates the GPU from the SoC and give it its own GDDR or HBM.

I find the GPU on the M1 extremely impressive. I dream of the possibilities if/when Apple separates the GPU from the SoC and give it its own GDDR or HBM.

Could that happen in the 'Pro' Macs?.

I have the M1 mac mini...amd hack...and had the Hp elite mini desktop(sold it for same money i bought 1 year later)...Gave my grandson my 560 video card from AMd setup....never thinking what it would cost to replace it...He is happy with it....never would have believed how much cost to replace it....so using M1 mac mini now...and does everything i need...but sad times.

Only Apple knows... But seeing what they've accomplished with the shared memory on the SoC, I'm extremely hopeful.

Assuming that Metal is still being worked on and Intel are making their GPU. Apple may as well go all out and make their own GPU, cut costs by not relying on AMD. And as we all know Nvidia have already been cut loose.

Assuming that Metal is still being worked on and Intel are making their GPU. Apple may as well go all out and make their own GPU, cut costs by not relying on AMD. And as we all know Nvidia have already been cut loose.

I suspect that's exactly what Apple has planned in terms of GPU. They went in to a new licensing agreement with Imagination Tech for their Ray Tracing tech.

I'd sell my RX580 in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on something better at MSRP. I've been on EVGA's GPU wait list for 4 months. At those prices, I should sell anyway.
I gave away a GTX 970 & a GTX 960 last summer, expecting to buy a new card. Then I waited until the 3080 dropped but didn't click fast enough. If I knew then what I know now. :)

I'd sell my RX580 in a heartbeat if I could get my hands on something better at MSRP. I've been on EVGA's GPU wait list for 4 months. At those prices, I should sell anyway.
I gave away a GTX 970 & a GTX 960 last summer, expecting to buy a new card. Then I waited until the 3080 dropped but didn't click fast enough. If I knew then what I know now. :)
I’m not selling my RX 580, even though I could probably put the money towards a new house!. I did sell my Gigabyte RX 570 for double what I paid recently, that was a bonus. Until prices become attainable then I’ll keep my 580, or buy something with an Apple GPU, which I suspect will come first.

I’m not selling my RX 580, even though I could probably put the money towards a new house!. I did sell my Gigabyte RX 570 for double what I paid recently, that was a bonus. Until prices become attainable then I’ll keep my 580, or buy something with an Apple GPU, which I suspect will come first.
I got the same Sapphire model as you, at the same price. Specifically for Mac compatibility. I'll keep it around for that reason alone.
I'd actually feel kinda bad about selling it for way more than I paid. Maybe I could trade it for a Playstation 5? :)

The GTX 1060 is similar to the AMD RX 580 in performance. Even those cards are selling for nearly as much as it used to cost to build a complete gaming PC just a few years ago. :|

Screen Shot 2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back