Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP
CPU
intel
Graphics
rx470
Today I bought my first SSD drive. The Sandisk Extreme 120GB.

My system specs:
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H-USB3 (onboard nic disabled due to freezes)
intel G850 2,89 Ghz, 8GB ram.
Realtek pci card.

The motherboards specs says 3 GB/s through the four onboard sata ports. The Sandisk extreme says 6 GB/s on the box. Those speeds probably will never happen. Bus? speeds are those?

In the App store I found a program named "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test".

When I hit the START button in the centre it starts doing all kinds of benchmarks on the SSD hd.

Depending on what it is doing on average:

WRITE +- 128 MB/s
READ +- 220 MB/s

I have no clue what speeds I should expect. I think the 2 TB drive I used before was probably around 20 MB/s till 40 MB/s. Using the 2 TB drive as suggested on the website here for my data now.

Can somebody please enlighten me what the normal speed should be of my new fly uber fast SSD drive?

Thanks for enlightening me.

You have more then double speeds of what I got. Is it hugely noticeable speed differences between sata II and III?

Yes and no, but to be honest compared to a physical drive, you won't see a huge difference in day to day operations. Faster is always better, but if you don't have a SATA III port available, it doesn't matter.

There's quite a few things that can affect your benchmarks, even how the program that does the benchmarking can affect speeds. Also the controller for the drive is a big one. Some drive controllers excel at compressing data before storage for faster access, etc. Just remember that the advertised speeds of your drive will be in the absolute best cased benchmarking scenario, and other things can make it better or worse.

I have a few other drives, and noticed that my Kingston v300 had worse benchmarking than the v200. Found that the v300 uses a Sandforce controller which compresses the data before storage. On a "normal" benchmark (which in this tool's case, tested un-compressable data), it appeared slower. However when I used a benchmark that allowed for compressable data, the marks were much better.

I guess all in all, the numbers aren't a huge deal. Especially compared to physical hard drives.

Today I bought my first SSD drive. The Sandisk Extreme 120GB.

My system specs:
Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H-USB3 (onboard nic disabled due to freezes)
intel G850 2,89 Ghz, 8GB ram.
Realtek pci card.

The motherboards specs says 3 GB/s through the four onboard sata ports. The Sandisk extreme says 6 GB/s on the box. Those speeds probably will never happen. Bus? speeds are those?

In the App store I found a program named "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test".

When I hit the START button in the centre it starts doing all kinds of benchmarks on the SSD hd.

Depending on what it is doing on average:

WRITE +- 128 MB/s
READ +- 220 MB/s

I have no clue what speeds I should expect. I think the 2 TB drive I used before was probably around 20 MB/s till 40 MB/s. Using the 2 TB drive as suggested on the website here for my data now.

Can somebody please enlighten me what the normal speed should be of my new fly uber fast SSD drive?

I have MSI H61M P31 motherboard, this mobo has SATA II onboard, I could use one mini PCI slot where I installed Asrock SATA III controller that enhanced my read speeds on my Crucial M4 SSD but actually somewhat slowed down the speed on 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 64Mb cache hard disk.

For a Sata II connection, those speeds sound about right. If you were on a Sata III connection, you would see roughly double that. That's still 3-4 times faster than a physical hard drive, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back