Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Z97-3.1
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
R9 280x Vapor-X & R9 280x Asus
Hey guys,

I'm a video/photo editor currently on an 2.5 i5, 16gb ddr4, Intel HD 4000 1024MB Mac Mini.

I run Final Cut Pro (with a few plugins like Color Finale), CS6, LR 5 and more.

This computer was all I could afford at the time.

Now I have a budget between $700-$1000 and I want to take on building a Hackintosh. Preferably one with an i7, a good amount of speed, space to work on. I work on a ton of 4K video and I need a system that can handle it.

Can someone please give me build list that will fit my budget and run Yosemite + final cut, etc without any issues?

Thank you in advance.

- T

The buyer's guide on this site has always been helpful for me.

I'm thinking of building:

Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1151 Intel Z170 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboards GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz Unlocked Quad Core Skylake Desktop Processor, Socket LGA 1151 [BX80662I76700K]
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-3757-RX GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 FTW
Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin - BLS2K8G4D240FSE (Red)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM) (WS)
PSU: Corsair 550W Watt Modular 80+ Gold CS550M Power Supply PSU (CP-9020076-NA).
WiFi: TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (TL-WDN4800)
Case: Fractal Design Cases FD-CA-DEF-NANO-S-BK-W

Let me know if this will work.

Yosemite doesn't support Skylake. You're limited to Haswell hardware, which isn't available any more.
So you're simply telling me there's no way for me to have a Yosemite build?

If there is a way please point me in the right direction.

So you're simply telling me there's no way for me to have a Yosemite build?
If there is a way please point me in the right direction.

Look on Amazon for an Asus or Gigabyte Z97 motherboard and an I7-4790K CPU. You can still find both of these new. This way you'll have the option to use Yosemite now and also upgrade to El Capitan or Sierra when needed. These two components will use up over $400 of your budget so look also for a used AMD R9 280X GPU to use for FCP editing. Will work with Yosemite.

Last edited:
Look on Amazon for an Asus or Gigabyte Z97 motherboard and an I7-4790K CPU. You can still find both of these new. This way you'll have the option to use Yosemite now and also upgrade to El Capitan or Sierra when needed. These two components will use up over $400 of your budget so look also for a used AMD R9 280X GPU to use for FCP editing. Will work with Yosemite.
Thank you so much

You can get used i7-4790K on 1150 ASUS or Gigabyte mobos for pretty good prices on places like ******'s HardwareSwap. You'll also need the proper ram (DDR3, i assume). The rest of the stuff (GPU, CPU cooler, harddrives, PSU, case) hasnt changed so you can get it anywhere.

You can get used i7-4790K on 1150 ASUS or Gigabyte mobos for pretty good prices on places like ******'s HardwareSwap. You'll also need the proper ram (DDR3, i assume). The rest of the stuff (GPU, CPU cooler, harddrives, PSU, case) hasnt changed so you can get it anywhere.

Thanks I'm going to check it out now. I'll keep everyone updated throughout the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back