Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi everyone. Apologies in advance if I ask questions that have answers somewhere on this forum but need this computer for work so it has to get up and running yesterday. I followed High Sierra guide to the teeth, still stuck though....should I see EFI partition on my USB drive before I attempt installation? It's not there. Again, sorry for noob questions. I am on GB Z370 and RX 580 8GB if it matters.

Hi everyone. Apologies in advance if I ask questions that have answers somewhere on this forum but need this computer for work so it has to get up and running yesterday. I followed High Sierra guide to the teeth, still stuck though....should I see EFI partition on my USB drive before I attempt installation? It's not there. Again, sorry for noob questions. I am on GB Z370 and RX 580 8GB if it matters.
if I ask questions that have answers somewhere on this forum
  • Yes, this question presented to this Forum using many different phrases such as "Prohibited Entry" "No Entry" " Circle with a Slash Symbol" error, "STOP SIGN", "Still waiting for root device" error etc has been answered by many already and easy to find if searched.
  • Here are some links for Forum Pages with answers:
    #7& #4
should I see EFI partition on my USB drive before I attempt installation? It's not there.
  • EFI Partition of USB Installer was created automatically by Disk Utility when you ran the Tool "Erase" and opted to create it using GUID Partition map in HFS+J Format.
  • The 210MB EFI Partition was carved out of the 16GB USB Flash Disk (to be used as Installer) and formatted as FAT leaving the lion share for HFS+J set aside for MacOS High Sierra System files copying in a compressed form to create the USB Installer disk either by Unibeast or using Terminal commands .
  • Since EFI Partition is a very valuable real estate intended for CLOVER EFI Boot files, it is hidden from user to prevent accidental deletion or unintended editing of its contents by the user.
  • The EFI Partition has to be 'mounted' on the Desktop using Terminal commands or special software tools like EFI Mounter V3 or Clover Configurator . This is a Troubleshoot step to alter the contents of EFI Folder in Hackintosh to be done by those who know what to do or at the instruction of someone who knows about the Hardware Specs and the specific macOS used in that Hardware.

Last edited:
  • Yes, this question presented to this Forum using many different phrases such as "Prohibited Entry" "No Entry" " Circle with a Slash Symbol" error, "STOP SIGN", "Still waiting for root device" error etc has been answered by many already and easy to find if searched.
  • Here are some links for Forum Pages with answers:
    #7& #4
  • EFI Partition of USB Installer was created automatically by Disk Utility when you ran the Tool "Erase" and opted to create it using GUID Partition map in HFS+J Format.
  • The 210MB EFI Partition was carved out of the 16GB USB Flash Disk (to be used as Installer) and formatted as FAT leaving the lion share for HFS+J set aside for MacOS High Sierra System files copying in a compressed form to create the USB Installer disk either by Unibeast or using Terminal commands .
  • Since EFI Partition is a very valuable real estate intended for CLOVER EFI Boot files, it is hidden from user to prevent accidental deletion or unintended editing of its contents by the user.
  • The EFI Partition has to be 'mounted' on the Desktop using Terminal commands or special software tools like EFI Mounter V3 or Clover Configurator . This is a Troubleshoot step to alter the contents of EFI Folder in Hackintosh to be done by those who know what to do or at the instruction of someone who knows about the Hardware Specs and the specific macOS used in that Hardware.

Thank you so much for explaining EFI partition to me. I now finally get it.

Is it possible that reason for my issues is the use of 32GB USB 3.0 stick?

As of right now I am trying to figure out if it's indeed hardware issue or maybe my USB is not configured properly:

1) Unibeast 8.3.2 is referenced as latest and that's what I download but after running software it says 8.3.1
2) latest clover is 4674 (?) but unibeast created one shows 4428....so Do I need to use different method to manually install latest clover?
3) I am on Radeon 580 GPU...so should I have default "set Nvidia to VESA" checked? Do i care about anything nvidia on radeon card at this point? Sorry for whole another set of noob questions .

I should rephrase regarding reading forum and troubleshooting :)...yes, I did see some of those threads referencing USB issues but when switching between different USB ports, everything goes to $hit including clover looping back to initial screen after being halfway through OS install. So depending on which usb port I use, I will either get prohibitory sign or it loops back to welcome screen.

My Verbose does mention : still waiting for root device

Any help highly appreciated!

Thank you so much for explaining EFI partition to me. I now finally get it.

As of right now I am trying to figure out if it's indeed hardware issue or maybe my USB is not configured properly:

1) Unibeast 8.3.2 is referenced as latest and that's what I download but after running software it says 8.3.1
2) latest clover is 4674 (?) but unibeast created one shows 4428....so Do I need to use different method to manually install latest clover?
3) I am on Radeon 580 GPU...so should I have default "set Nvidia to VESA" checked? Do i care about anything nvidia on radeon card at this point? Sorry for whole another set of noob questions .

I should rephrase regarding reading forum and troubleshooting :)...yes, I did see some of those threads referencing USB issues but when switching between different USB ports, everything goes to $hit including clover looping back to initial screen after being halfway through OS install. So depending on which usb port I use, I will either get prohibitory sign or it loops back to welcome screen.

My Verbose does mention : still waiting for root device

Any help highly appreciated!

If I had the problem I will go methodically as I want to get to the real cause.

I will look at my BIOS and its USB controller.
I will look at CLOVER/kexts/Other
I will look at my config.plist> Devices >USB
I will take a good detailed look into the often poorly written Motherboard User Guide about USB port
Finally, if all these are cleared of any faults, the size of USB Flash drive will be a factor.
32GB
is the upper limit I have used
But as you can see from another active troubleshoot in this Forum,a 32GB Flash drive could turn out to be the culprit after all else was ruled out https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-multibeast-update.261500/page-2#post-1820483

so I switched from back panel, MB mounted USB 3.0 to front panel USB 3.0. Different controller I suppose, it went much furhter this time >>> grey screen, grey screen plus spinning wheel, black screen spinning wheel for 30min. I reseted it and after that I wouldn't be able to boot into that USB at all from any usb port even if I manually point to that drive as boot in bios.

so I switched from back panel, MB mounted USB 3.0 to front panel USB 3.0. Different controller I suppose, it went much furhter this time >>> grey screen, grey screen plus spinning wheel, black screen spinning wheel for 30min. I reseted it and after that I wouldn't be able to boot into that USB at all from any usb port even if I manually point to that drive as boot in bios.
Please upload your CLOVER as a compressed file. For steps, if you need > #4

Uploaded. Thank you! I did the same procedure on older 8GB usb 2 flash drive ....results are totally different. Bios now sees both physical drive and EUFI partition. Won't boot to either from either usb port .....uuuggghhh

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
Uploaded. Thank you! I did the same procedure on older 8GB usb 2 flash drive ....results are totally different. Bios now sees both physical drive and EUFI partition. Won't boot to either from either usb port .....uuuggghhh
I am reviewing your CLOVER. I have already found a lot of issues that can cause your current problem. I have found your CLOVER/kexts/Other lacks kexts to enable your USB ports to work OK.
Please note your Z370 board has actually a mislabeled Z270 Chip that has created USB controller issues to a lot on this Forum. I cannot recall the exact post, but BreBo has been the one who pointed that to me and helped the OP fix the issues.

I will upload the images from your CLOVER when I get a chance in a couple of hours unless you can solve it yourself with the clues I have given.

I ended up following this guide to install Mojave...It mostly went well. Audio is ****, usb 3.0 works with flash drives and I/O devices, not so much with ext. hdds, wi-fi....I don't think it works. Still trying to figure out where in the system I can see what's what and which drivers are fine....equivalent of Device Manager in windows where I can see everything at once.

I ended up following this guide to install Mojave...It mostly went well. Audio is ****, usb 3.0 works with flash drives and I/O devices, not so much with ext. hdds, wi-fi....I don't think it works. Still trying to figure out where in the system I can see what's what and which drivers are fine....equivalent of Device Manager in windows where I can see everything at once.
where in the system I can see what's what and which drivers are fine....equivalent of Device Manager in windows where I can see everything at once.

Click Apple Top Left Menubar > About This Mac.> System Report.... > Hardware = Device Manager equivalent .(see composite image from 3 screen captures)

Attachments

• 1.System Report.png
    1.System Report.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back