Graphics
Nvidia K1000M 1920x1080
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I installed ML 10.8.2 on the Intel NUC. After that I shrank the Mac OS X partition and created a new partiton for Windows 7. Windows 7 install went fine. But I couldn't get back in Mac OS x, after a reboot it went directly to Windows. I then created a USB stick with Multibeast to startup from. It indeed showed Mac OS X but no Windows. It tries to boot Mac OS X but fails on a black screen. Trying -v only shows 2 lines starting with Reading HFS+....... and then it just restarts. Is my Mac OS X install totally screwed and will it need to be installed again or can it be repaired.

I used Mulibeast 5.2 for ML to create the USB stick because the latest Multibeast gave me an error on writing files.

I installed ML 10.8.2 on the Intel NUC. After that I shrank the Mac OS X partition and created a new partiton for Windows 7. Windows 7 install went fine. But I couldn't get back in Mac OS x, after a reboot it went directly to Windows. I then created a USB stick with Multibeast to startup from. It indeed showed Mac OS X but no Windows. It tries to boot Mac OS X but fails on a black screen. Trying -v only shows 2 lines starting with Reading HFS+....... and then it just restarts. Is my Mac OS X install totally screwed and will it need to be installed again or can it be repaired.

I used Mulibeast 5.2 for ML to create the USB stick because the latest Multibeast gave me an error on writing files.

Depending on how you installed Win7 and what you did in the Win7 installer, you may have damaged your ML install. It kind of sounds like you repartitioned in the Win7 installer (on MBR side of hybrid MBR/GPT), which would corrupt the HFS+ partitions on the GPT side of hybrid MBR/GPT.

What, exactly, did you do??

Depending on how you installed Win7 and what you did in the Win7 installer, you may have damaged your ML install. It kind of sounds like you repartitioned in the Win7 installer (on MBR side of hybrid MBR/GPT), which would corrupt the HFS+ partitions on the GPT side of hybrid MBR/GPT.

What, exactly, did you do??

Might have done just what you described. I shrank the OS X partition in Disk Utilities an created a Windows partition there formatted it as MS-DOS. Then started the Windows install but it told me that Windows can't be installed on the just created partition. I then deleted that partition and created a new one and installed Windows. So I guess the OS X install is messed up beyond repair? Or is there still a chance to fix it?

If I gonna start new with a multiboot confuguration is it better to create a partition of half the entire disk for OS X and later create the partition for Windows in the Windows installer. That way I won't have to mess with the OS X partition.

Might have done just what you described. I shrank the OS X partition in Disk Utilities an created a Windows partition there formatted it as MS-DOS. Then started the Windows install but it told me that Windows can't be installed on the just created partition. I then deleted that partition and created a new one and installed Windows. So I guess the OS X install is messed up beyond repair? Or is there still a chance to fix it?

Hard to be sure, but I'd say you corrupted your HFS+ file system at that point. I would re-install. Even if you did get it to work, by repairing it in Disk Utility, I wouldn't trust it going forward.

The only thing you can do in the Windows installer at that point is format an existing partition. You cannot remove/add/delete any partitions w/in the Windows installer. This is because you'll upset the syncronized nature of MBR/GPT tables in a hybrid partition setup.

If I gonna start new with a multiboot confuguration is it better to create a partition of half the entire disk for OS X and later create the partition for Windows in the Windows installer. That way I won't have to mess with the OS X partition.

As i said above, you don't create any partitions in the Windows installer. Just format already existing FAT32 to NTFS. How big you make the partitions depends on your requirements for each Windows/OS X installations.

Thanks for the info. No real harm done, just part of the learning curve.

One other question: what is the best workorder creating an ML based hackintosh. I mean when should the DSDT be inserted, chameleon boot plist be edited, kexts be installed. I got my first build working, but it was a bit of a "rough" ride. Any help and advice is welcome. I already have a Unibeast created ML stick, are other utilities, drivers, DSDT file and so handy or necessary to have beforehand?

Im still very new to hackintoshing and Mac OS.

I booted of my Unibeast stick and started Disk Utility. I let it repair the OS X partition on my harddisk. It didn't find any actual errors on the partitonwhen verifying it, but it fixed some boot stuff. And my OS X works again. I still have to use the Unibeast stick though where I select OS X. I don't see a Windows option though. Could it be it is not properly synced with the GPT partition? Maybe it is better to delete and re-create the Win7 partition and install Win7 again? And afterwards install the Chimera/Chameleon bootloader with Multibeast?

I booted of my Unibeast stick and started Disk Utility. I let it repair the OS X partition on my harddisk. It didn't find any actual errors on the partitonwhen verifying it, but it fixed some boot stuff. And my OS X works again. I still have to use the Unibeast stick though where I select OS X. I don't see a Windows option though. Could it be it is not properly synced with the GPT partition? Maybe it is better to delete and re-create the Win7 partition and install Win7 again? And afterwards install the Chimera/Chameleon bootloader with Multibeast?

I would remove the partition (if it is still there) in OS X Disk Utility. Then re-create it (as FAT32). Then re-install Windows as I describe above. Then re-install Chimera using Multibeast after Windows install is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back