Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
Hello all! I have been reading the TonyMac forums for quite some time without any type of participation. Since I am a proud member of Apple's horde of displaced professional users, I would like to learn more about CustoMac builds while contributing to the community.

I've noticed the huge amount of new users flocking to the site since the coverage on Vice and such, and I think this thread could be a safe place for us noobs to stay out of the higher up's hair.

Any questions on parts, compatibility, or general practices could go here!

We welcome our more experienced users to step in as well!

I am currently working on my first build after running my maxed out 2013 MacBook Pro into the ground. This computer will serve as a dual boot, audio production rig for Pro Tools. I would like to use it as a gaming and video production machine as well as a gaming PC in the not so distant future, so I would like to upgrade to a 4K monitor. Since I have seen few issues with the software I am using to produce music in macOS Sierra, I would like to run the latest OS if possible. My biggest issue is finding a GPU to fit my needs.

In addition, I am running an Mbox Pro 3, which supports dying technology. In the absence of USB 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 Interfaces, I may have to run my interface through FireWire 400/800 or a Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. Would my best bet be to install a FireWire PCIe slot or perhaps a Thunderbolt 2 expansion?

This is what my potential build will look like.

MoBo - Gigabyte Designare Z170x.
This is the only piece that I actually purchased so far as it was 20% off for Black Friday.
CPU - Intel i7 6700K
I saw a great deal at MicroCenter for $260.
Cooling Fan - Corsair H60
I don't know much about water cooling but I understand it is a quieter solution and requires ample case space. I am keeping this in mind for my build.
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB
In the future I will definitely upgrade to 32 or 64 gigs. While I was looking through Stork's Golden Asus Gene build I noticed he used DDR4 RAM from outside the buyer's guide. If there are other memory components that will support my MoBo I will be more than happy to shell out a few extra dollars for performance and visual aesthetics.
SSD - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB
There are two drives to boot Windows and macOS on dedicated boot up discs.
HD - 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB
One storage disc for Mac and one storage disc of Windows.

Would anyone be able to assist me with selecting a good GPU? I have searched the forums up and down but I am having some gray areas as far as what card will work well with my machine.
As far as a case I am searching for specs to make sure that my ATX MoBo fits with no issues. Hopefully this post can shed some insight on new users looking for answers.

Thanks to the TonyMac community for all of their contributions. CustoMacs will save my recording space!

-Kuke

After digging through the buyers guide for a few times I decided on the Gigabyte GTX 950 card since it has multiple display ports and nearly the same clock speed as the CustoMac Pro listed EVGA GTX 960 Super Clocked. I will log my future findings in the hopes that other users looking to create their first build can learn from my own process.

Last edited:
After digging through the buyers guide for a few times I decided on the Gigabyte GTX 950 card since it has multiple display ports and nearly the same clock speed as the CustoMac Pro listed EVGA GTX 960 Super Clocked. I will log my future findings in the hopes that other users looking to create their first build can learn from my own process.

I can whole-heartedly recommend the Gigabyte GTX 950. Running in my box with a very similar mobo with no issues. Also very reasonably priced at around $169.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back