Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I built a golden build back in March (CustoMac Pro) with the exception of an upgraded graphics card. I chose the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GDDR5, 4GB. From what I've used it with when booting in PC for gaming, it's a very powerful card and I've been able to play all my games with max settings. I've been able to get it to work with my Yosemite partition too- with some issues...

I'm still really new to the concept of a hackintosh, and I'm certain I didn't set up everything right because I have lots of little issues here and there. Whenever I try to fix them and happen to break everything, I can't fix the issue without completely removing my graphics card, then running my fixes, and trying to reinstall drivers. This also happens when I tried to update from 10.10.1 to 10.10.5, and as of right now it just isn't working with the graphics card at all.

I think the best move for my situation is to sell my current graphics card and find one that is more compatible. The build list says that the "Maxwell" cards require the extra hoops to jump through, but it doesn't say which ones use Maxwell and which ones do not. Can anyone shed some light on what graphics cards don't require all the extra steps? I just need an easier learning-curve with this machine before I lose my mind.

I built a golden build back in March (CustoMac Pro) with the exception of an upgraded graphics card. I chose the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GDDR5, 4GB. From what I've used it with when booting in PC for gaming, it's a very powerful card and I've been able to play all my games with max settings. I've been able to get it to work with my Yosemite partition too- with some issues...

I'm still really new to the concept of a hackintosh, and I'm certain I didn't set up everything right because I have lots of little issues here and there. Whenever I try to fix them and happen to break everything, I can't fix the issue without completely removing my graphics card, then running my fixes, and trying to reinstall drivers. This also happens when I tried to update from 10.10.1 to 10.10.5, and as of right now it just isn't working with the graphics card at all.

I think the best move for my situation is to sell my current graphics card and find one that is more compatible. The build list says that the "Maxwell" cards require the extra hoops to jump through, but it doesn't say which ones use Maxwell and which ones do not. Can anyone shed some light on what graphics cards don't require all the extra steps? I just need an easier learning-curve with this machine before I lose my mind.
GTX760 IIRC is latest card to work OOB. Not sure about the 780 or 780Ti, but the 750Ti requires nVidia web drivers.

Suggest you get another drive and clone your setup. Then all you have to do when you mess up is clone the clone back to your working drive. I usually do all tweaking and updating to the clone first before applying it to my working drive.

Suggest you get another drive and clone your setup. Then all you have to do when you mess up is clone the clone back to your working drive. I usually do all tweaking and updating to the clone first before applying it to my working drive.

That's a really great idea- I'll do that in the future for sure. Thanks for the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back