Contribute
Register

Noise in headphones (alc255)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But you are using High-Sierra and I use Sierra, it's different
Technically, it will work as those kexts are not HighSierra specific, you're free to try but as i said always keep a backup in case if something goes wrong.
Btw, why don't you consider upgrading to HighSierra to stay up to date? Since you're doing big efforts to get OSX working on your machine, at least target the latest version, i see that your config has no discrete graphics(AMD/Nvidia) like mine, the process should be easier for you...

Technically, it will work as those kexts are not HighSierra specific, you're free to try but as i said always keep a backup in case if something goes wrong.
Btw, why don't you consider upgrading to HighSierra to stay up to date? Since you're doing big efforts to get OSX working on your machine, at least target the latest version, i see that your config has no discrete graphics(AMD/Nvidia) like mine, the process should
Do your headphone mic works with your fix

You're welcome, here is the full fix that helped me to get mine working if you like to try it, but don't replace the included config.plist with your existing one as it contains only the audio patchs, you must instead open it with plist editor and drag and drop the patchs it contains one by one to your config.plist in the section that it matches, & don't forget to backup your current files.
It doesn't work for me

I'm having a similar issue.

Issue & Scenario:
-Distorted audio on headphone port

-Run kextstat, no CodecCommander.kext found
-Load CodecCommander.kext from S/L/E using kextload after I'm booted up....everything works perfect, no other changes needed.
-Reboot
-Copy CodecCommander.kext to EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
-Reboot
-Login & run kextstat, CodecCommander.kext is now found
-Still have distorted audio
-copy hda-verb from one of the previous posts to /usr/bin
-execute the following commands in terminal: "hda-verb 0x19 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x25" and "hda-verb 0x21 SET_UNSOLICITED_ENABLE 0x83"
-Audio sounds good until restart

Tried it with the kextpatches from the previous post, same issue.

What could I be missing? Mainly posting here in case someone has a quick fix.

yeah yeah rehab, I know, pr files. Working on it. Need to pick through them and pull serial #'s and all that out if any.

Edit: I just realized this was on a laptop support post.... I'll find one in a desktop forum if any. This was the first thing to pop up when I searched for "alc255 headphone". My mobo is a stripped down laptop board though since it's in a micro form factor case.

Last edited:
I'm having a similar issue.

Issue & Scenario:
-Distorted audio on headphone port

-Load CodecCommander.kext from S/L/E using kextload after I'm booted up....everything works perfect, no other changes needed.
-Reboot
-Copy CodecCommander.kext to EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other
-Reboot
-Login & run kextstat, CodecCommander.kext is now found
-Still have distorted audio
-copy hda-verb from one of the previous posts to /usr/bin
-execute the following commands in terminal: "hda-verb 0x19 SET_PIN_WIDGET_CONTROL 0x25" and "hda-verb 0x21 SET_UNSOLICITED_ENABLE 0x83"
-Audio sounds good until restart

Tried it with the kextpatches from the previous post, same issue.

What could I be missing? Mainly posting here in case someone has a quick fix.

yeah yeah rehab, I know, pr files. Working on it. Need to pick through them and pull serial #'s and all that out if any.

Edit: I just realized this was on a laptop support post.... I'll find one in a desktop forum if any. This was the first thing to pop up when I searched for "alc255 headphone". My mobo is a stripped down laptop board though since it's in a micro form factor case.

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back