Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
CPU
i5 4670K
Graphics
GTX 750 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Last night I installed Noctua's NH-D15 to replace the stock Intel CPU fan along with two of their 140mm case fans. Installation was a breeze, and it fits my case and the cut-outs for the RAM slots are genius. I noticed at first that my fan speed was quite loud, even after reducing the speed to silent on the BIOS.

I reinstalled FakeSMC, HW Manager and plugins and it still kept the fans spinning super high. I tried a second time, to only install FakeSMC without HW Manager and the plugins and it cut the fan speeds in HALF! It was nice having fan speeds show in the graphs BUT not for the sake of silence!

I was having a similar fan speed problem with my i3 4330 on a H87N Mobo. System would start and fans would run normal, but after a couple minutes ramp up and stay ramped up, despite all temperatures being low.

After installing just the fakesmc kext, no plugins, fan speeds are back to their quiet selves.

Just a question for you: you say it cut the speeds in half, how do you know? based on how they sound? i thought the plugins were the only way to monitor fan speed and temps???
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back