Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi Everyone,
I'm running a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 on a Sabertooth x79 motherboard. I get a fan error on on bootup because the fans runs under 600RPM. The front fan (intake) is plugged into the cpu_opt socket and the middle fan is plugged into the cpu_fan socket. I see the fans run anywhere from 483RPM to 560RPM on boot up.

My question is:
1. Is it normal for the fan to run slowly on bootup?
2. If so, should I just turn the error threshold down in the bios to?
3. Should I use the y-split cable and just plug into the cpu_fan socket or is ok to run each fan in it's own socket since this mother board has an option for two cpu fans.

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,
I'm running a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 on a Sabertooth x79 motherboard. I get a fan error on on bootup because the fans runs under 600RPM. The front fan (intake) is plugged into the cpu_opt socket and the middle fan is plugged into the cpu_fan socket. I see the fans run anywhere from 483RPM to 560RPM on boot up.

My question is:
1. Is it normal for the fan to run slowly on bootup?
2. If so, should I just turn the error threshold down in the bios to?
3. Should I use the y-split cable and just plug into the cpu_fan socket or is ok to run each fan in it's own socket since this mother board has an option for two cpu fans.

Thanks!

Are you using the short fan cables that came with the cooler? These short cables are not extension cables, they are actually resistor cables and will slow the speed of the fan. Generally there are 2 for medium speed and 2 for slow speed. If your fan speed alarm is sounding, but your CPU temps are fine, I would lower the alarm threshold in BIOS. Make sure you check the temps first.

Are you using the short fan cables that came with the cooler? These short cables are not extension cables, they are actually resistor cables and will slow the speed of the fan. Generally there are 2 for medium speed and 2 for slow speed. If your fan speed alarm is sounding, but your CPU temps are fine, I would lower the alarm threshold in BIOS. Make sure you check the temps first.

Hi,
My kit has the slow cables as well as a pair of extention cables and "Y" to one cable. However, I'm plugged directly in from the fan to the motherboard. My temps are fine, so I'm going to lower the alarm threshold. Thanks for the reassurance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back