Contribute
Register

No success with 10.8.5 ML using Z77X-UDH5 motherboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@hacmac1

You don't want to use the -x flag every time as that won't provide you with hardware acceleration on the HD 4000 but it sounds like you were able to get ML installed. With regards to the missing User icons...I know what you mean because that happens to me as well, but it only happens for me when I install ML, when I go to System Preferences I can choose the icons and they are visible. No idea on the System Prefs being slow part but if you are using a hard drive, it's probably going to take a while as the OS is still loading all the resources. I haven't seen any obvious slowdowns with a solid state drive and with the 120/128 gb ones being reasonably cheap (~80$) it's a good buy in my opinion.

For the VGA output, this should do the trick: StarTech DVI to VGA Cable Adapter

I am not sure that adapter will work, take a look at the thin tab connector, there are 2 pins on either side of that. My motherboard DVI connector has a thin tab, there is no room for the small pins on either side of it. Also, I saw there is some kind of issue with with DVI adaptor, some places are saying they don't work right.

Does your DVI connector allow you to use an adaptor with those 2 pins on either side of the thin tab ?

Thanks for your help bro ! I will make another posting after I have played around with those graphic boot up flags.

While you can get VGA to work it's never going to work well. I did get it to get vga output to work when I first setup my hack. After a day of trying I got a DVI cable and went with it. Everything worked fine after that. I don't have the book for the Z77X-UD5H handy but you may want to give it a read first. If memory serves the output from it won't work with vga. Something to do with digital dvi vs. analog dvi?

While you can get VGA to work it's never going to work well. I did get it to get vga output to work when I first setup my hack. After a day of trying I got a DVI cable and went with it. Everything worked fine after that. I don't have the book for the Z77X-UD5H handy but you may want to give it a read first. If memory serves the output from it won't work with vga. Something to do with digital dvi vs. analog dvi?

Yes, FWP, that is right. The DVI-D connector on the UDh5 motherboard will not be able to drive a VGA even with an adaptor. The thing I wonder about though is if you have a DVI-I (integrated) connector coming off of a discrete GPU card, wonder if that will drive a VGA monitor. I wonder if anyone on this board has tried that or had to use that. Ya, I probably need to buy a graphics card but it would be nice to save a few bucks and just use my old VGA monitor for the time being.

My post of the cure to this starting only with the -x flag is in this group somewhere:

Possible cure for non startup from Hard disk after install.

My system is the same except for a i7 377k processor.

The cure in my case was to move the 2x8 GB memory modules to the other two slots in the MOBO.
It will startup no problems from the hard disk after you do that without needing flags of any kind.

Hope this helps anyone with statup probs.

My post of the cure to this starting only with the -x flag is in this group somewhere:

Possible cure for non startup from Hard disk after install.

My system is the same except for a i7 377k processor.

The cure in my case was to move the 2x8 GB memory modules to the other two slots in the MOBO.
It will startup no problems from the hard disk after you do that without needing flags of any kind.

Hope this helps anyone with statup probs.

That's good to know...

Since you are using the onboard graphics, what port are you using to drive your display ? Dvi ? HDMI ?

Is the sweet spot for GPU price/performance the GTX 650 Ti Boost (or 660) ? I see a lot of folks have that. Any suggestions ? I also wonder what is the cheapest GPU that will work if I'm not worried about gaming.

My system as it stands now is able to boot into 10.8.5 after doing the update from Apple. But I have no working audio, can't see any stuff on youtube, DVD player doesn't work, time machine doesn't work right, Blender app doesn't work. But even though I have these problems I can still do other work so it's not too bad.

I am going to have a go with the latest updated MBeast to see if I can get a few more things fixed.

I believe a GS 8400 would work, I used an NVIDIA 8600 GT board and it worked great (better than my 560 TI which has random freezes).

I would stay away from a Fermi based board and find a Kepler board such as a 640 for budget level.

You usually have to reapply audio kexts after updates (I know I had to do that after upgrading to Mavericks as well...and I believe 10.8.4 - > 10.8.5)

Can you elaborate on the other problems you mentioned?
YouTube
DVD Player
Time Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back