Contribute
Register

No success with 10.8.5 ML using Z77X-UDH5 motherboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
HD 4000
It's nice that there have been additional updates to Unibeast and Multibeast but none of the software on Tonymac has allowed me to get a working 10.8.5 ML install on my system.

I have a z77x-uD5H motherboard, 3750k i5 cpu, and 8GB of DDR3 memory, and a 320 GB hd I had laying around. I do not have any graphics card, I am using the VGA output from the motherboard to drive a monitor using the HD4000 onboard graphics.

Since I didn't have an intel mac to make a USB installer, I used this setup to get snow leopard going, I was able to get 10.6.8 installed so I could use the app store to buy ML. I downloaded ML 10.8.5, then I put my USB stick in, I used the latest version of Unibeast to create the USB installer. Ok, I got that with no errors. But when I try to boot from the USB stick to install ML on the hard drive, it will hang at an AppleUSBEHCI message, I have to take the stick out and then put it back in, then it will allow me to complete the install, I thought that was strange. Another strange thing was when you reach the part where you can customize the installation with additional fonts, languages, etc., I do not see anything listed. I went ahead and did the install on my hard drive anyway, ML did install. After restarting the sstem, I do a f12 to choose to boot from the USB stick, I can see the ML volume I installed and can choose it. But it will not let me boot into it, I have tried all kinds of boot flags but I haven't found anything that works. Some of the messages that come up are the AppleUSBEHCI, missing bluetooth controller, and IOBluetoothHCIController [start], it will just sit there and nothing happens after that. I've done over 20 installs with no success.

Has **ANYONE** on this board been able to do a 10.8.5 install on a z77x-UD5H using a similar method as mine ? I just don't know what else to check. I wonder if my hard drive or using the VGA output is causing some kind of problem, I even wonder if my motherboard is faulty but I can boot another hard drive with win7 and my system works. I can see having problems with an offbeat parts but not with an intel cpu and the Gigabyte motherboard like I have. Something is strange but I don't know what it is. Hopefully someone with more experience can give me hand as this is pretty much the end of the road for me. It's been a horrible experience ! I can give more details on my system if needed.

I have a UD5H board running 10.8.5 right now. Based on what you're describing I think your USB BIOS settings are not right.
One of the other things, if my memory serves me correctly, is that USB 2.0 ports (look at the manual) will work better than USB 3.0 ports.

I have a UD5H board running 10.8.5 right now. Based on what you're describing I think your USB BIOS settings are not right.
One of the other things, if my memory serves me correctly, is that USB 2.0 ports (look at the manual) will work better than USB 3.0 ports.

Thanks for your feedback, this gives me a tiny bit of hope.

There are some things I would like to know, what is the version of your motherboard ? Mine is v1.0, What version of the BIOS are you using for your running 10.8.5 system ? Mine is f14

I am NOT using the USB 3.0 ports, I use the USB 2.0 ports, I have a USB keyboard in one of them and have my mouse plugged into the keyboard. Then, I put the USB stick into the other USB 2.0 port.

Many days without sleep, help me please...

I have the same problem, i can only get into safe mode.

wacx_swapon SUCESS
waiting for DSMOS ...
Previous shutdown cause: 5
SMC: Smcinithelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode
WARNING: Useful Plugin IOPlatform: getCPUIDInfo: This is an unknow CPU model 0x3a
- Power management May be incomplete or unsupported
DSMOS has arrived
[IOBluetoothHCIController] [SearchForTransportEventTimeOutHandler] - Missing Bluetooth Controller Transport!

If i install Multibeast or Chameleon or Chimera, but never starts. Loads a moment and then is blocked.

Use Unibeast 2.1.1 to 10.8.5 ML, method:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
Use bios settings:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

Details PC:
GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i5 3570k
Intel Graphics HD 4000 (VGA)
16Gb Ram 1600Mhz
1TB Hard Disk(Sata)
DVD RW(Disconnected)
USB (Only 2.0)

I need ML 10.8.5 to install Logic Pro X. I hope someone can help us.

@hacmac1:

I have Rev 1.1 of the board, but using the same bios as you.

It's hard for me to guess the exact cause of the problem and my install method was a little different (I installed 10.8.3 or 10.8.4 and upgraded to 10.8.5 through the App Store) and I have an Asus 660 Ti discreet graphics car....That aside, a few things:

I recall reading somewhere that VGA isn't supported (but I don't remember if it's at OS level, on a specific board or on the Intel 3000/4000 chipset) I use DVI primarily and HDMI on occasion.

I also battled frequent freezes with Bluetooth messages while playing with video cards and from what I read the next step is the video initialization which caused the lockups. If you're using the latest version of Unibeast/MultiBeast and latest Chimera you should be able to use the new flags: IGPlatform= and IGPEnable=yes/no (See the post on tonymacx86 front page). I would try IGPlatform=01660009 first and make sure your video mem in BIOS is set to 64MB. Are you able to boot with the -v -x flags? (Verbose and safe mode).

===========

@knoppix:
Since you are able to get into safe mode, try booting with this:

boot: -v IGPlatform=01660009 IGPEnable=yes "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32"

If that works you'll have to update your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in /Extra with some flags.

@hacmac1:

I have Rev 1.1 of the board, but using the same bios as you.

It's hard for me to guess the exact cause of the problem and my install method was a little different (I installed 10.8.3 or 10.8.4 and upgraded to 10.8.5 through the App Store) and I have an Asus 660 Ti discreet graphics car....That aside, a few things:

I recall reading somewhere that VGA isn't supported (but I don't remember if it's at OS level, on a specific board or on the Intel 3000/4000 chipset) I use DVI primarily and HDMI on occasion.

I also battled frequent freezes with Bluetooth messages while playing with video cards and from what I read the next step is the video initialization which caused the lockups. If you're using the latest version of Unibeast/MultiBeast and latest Chimera you should be able to use the new flags: IGPlatform= and IGPEnable=yes/no (See the post on tonymacx86 front page). I would try IGPlatform=01660009 first and make sure your video mem in BIOS is set to 64MB. Are you able to boot with the -v -x flags? (Verbose and safe mode).

===========

@knoppix:
Since you are able to get into safe mode, try booting with this:

boot: -v IGPlatform=01660009 IGPEnable=yes "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32"

If that works you'll have to update your org.chameleon.Boot.plist file in /Extra with some flags.

I'm going to try some again. i had left him... reinstalling again:p

@psychephylax

The info you are giving is good, thanks for your feedback, it gives me something to work with.

Here is what happened, I did another fresh install and I did the boot flags -v- x, OK ! I was able to set up ML finally. But there are some strange things going on after I set it up. When I go down into the dock and choose System prefs, it takes 13 secs for that window to come up. After I close system prefs and then choose it again, the window comes up almost instantly, weird !

Another thing is if I go into Users & Groups, the little icons that you can choose for users are missing, I just see empty space in that popup window, there is only the icon for the current user but I cannot change it. This is not a big deal but it makes me wonder how many other resources are out of order.

That's exactly what I was planning to do, I am going to play around with those new graphic boot flags just like you mentioned.

I am going to see if I can find an DVI to VGA adaptor and hook up my VGA monitor to the DVI port on the motherboard, I wonder if that would help any. I just wanted to save a bit of money rather than having to go out and get a new monitor along with a suitable graphics card but maybe that just is not possible if i want this system to work.

@knoppixx

Yes, that is where I was hanging also, after that missing bluetooth controller transport

To both of you...

I am going to setup Multibeast right now and want to test out those graphic boot flags, I will report back when I have more info. There's gotta be a solution to this problem.

@hacmac1

You don't want to use the -x flag every time as that won't provide you with hardware acceleration on the HD 4000 but it sounds like you were able to get ML installed. With regards to the missing User icons...I know what you mean because that happens to me as well, but it only happens for me when I install ML, when I go to System Preferences I can choose the icons and they are visible. No idea on the System Prefs being slow part but if you are using a hard drive, it's probably going to take a while as the OS is still loading all the resources. I haven't seen any obvious slowdowns with a solid state drive and with the 120/128 gb ones being reasonably cheap (~80$) it's a good buy in my opinion.

For the VGA output, this should do the trick: StarTech DVI to VGA Cable Adapter

Well, my situation now is I am able to boot into 10.8.5 each time without using safe mode while using VGA output. This is the first time I have been able to do that, I don't know why I couldn't do it before. I used the latest multibeast, did an easy install with just the network drivers, that is all. I didn't try getting audio working just yet. There are some problems in Safari where there is graphics fluttering when I view certain websites and some glitches with iTunes.

I'd like to get GPU card but I hope there are some cheap ones ($40-50) that will work, I don't feel like spending $200 for one.

knoppixx, here are my org.chameleon.Boot.plist settings that work for me, why don't you give them a try on your system and let me know if you can boot without safe mode.

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0 -v</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>