Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
CPU
Intel Core i7 3930k
Graphics
ASUS ENGT520
Hi, total newbie here but trying to get an i7 build going to run ProTools.

GA-X79-UD5 board
i7 3930k
vengeance low profile RAM (24gb total) running on three channels - I thought I was plugging them in to ABC but BIOS reports they're on BCD.
Asus GT520 Silent graphics card

I have a friend who generously gave me his shopping list and a clone of his tonymac-made hard drive, too. I built identical to his setup with two exceptions, 6 sticks of RAM instead of 8, and a different graphics cards as the one he suggested was no longer being made.

Using a UniBeast USB drive I can get his SSD drive to load as far as userspace post success, ethernet address, macx_swapon success, etc, but then I get a black screen and "no signal" on the monitor. System won't just shut down but I have to hold the power button for a few seconds.

Same result trying to mount the stick drive to start from scratch, no flags have helped there either. Slightly different sequence of verbose code at the end, but same net result

I'm booting with a few flags and have tried options, UID=0 or 1, npci=0x3000, -x, GraphicsEnabler=no and yes

I've tried all three ports on my video card, moved the PCI card from 3 to 1, and double-checked

Any other flags or tips are greatly appreciated!

Try one stick of ram in first slot.
Find out from your friend what he did to sys for video card.
You said PCI you meant PCI Express?
I think the 520 card maybe one of the cards that was rebranded to GT 610.
You might want to check on that with a search. GT 610 needs tweaks sometimes.
I am not sure if it works with Snow.

Did your friend put in fix to run an Ivy CPU on Snow?

this is the card I have :: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121557 and now that I'm looking at my buddy's original email to me, that's the same card he has...

yes I meant PCI-e

running ML, 10.8.2 I believe

I can try the RAM - just a single stick in the slot numbered 1? Trouble is I'll have to remove my CPU cooler - can I do this troubleshooting without the cooler since it only runs a minute at a time, and then reinstall when I have it up? Also I need to clean all the compound off when removing and reinstalling the cooler, correct?

any other flags I can try to at least get the stick to run?

Thanks!

did a bit more testing, just changing flag settings and made a bit of progress

the following string ::

-x -f PCIRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 (or 2000 or no npci flag) GraphicsEnabler=Yes

got me the following result:

apple logo, spinning lines, progress bar; progress bar gets about half way then the spinning hangs

then black screen then quickly up to full bright gray screen with a mouse. Mouse unresponsive and it hangs here for several minutes at least.

Not sure if that's meaningful but hoping that helps.

thanks!

went down to a single stick of RAM in slot one, and also tried a single pair of sticks in a channel A configuration, same results. best I can do is grey screen with UID=0 and graphics Yes.

finally FWIW all this testing is being done over the DVI port.

Hi, total newbie here but trying to get an i7 build going to run ProTools.

GA-X79-UD5 board
i7 3930k
vengeance low profile RAM (24gb total) running on three channels - I thought I was plugging them in to ABC but BIOS reports they're on BCD.
Asus GT520 Silent graphics card

I have a friend who generously gave me his shopping list and a clone of his tonymac-made hard drive, too. I built identical to his setup with two exceptions, 6 sticks of RAM instead of 8, and a different graphics cards as the one he suggested was no longer being made.

Using a UniBeast USB drive I can get his SSD drive to load as far as userspace post success, ethernet address, macx_swapon success, etc, but then I get a black screen and "no signal" on the monitor. System won't just shut down but I have to hold the power button for a few seconds.

Same result trying to mount the stick drive to start from scratch, no flags have helped there either. Slightly different sequence of verbose code at the end, but same net result

I'm booting with a few flags and have tried options, UID=0 or 1, npci=0x3000, -x, GraphicsEnabler=no and yes

I've tried all three ports on my video card, moved the PCI card from 3 to 1, and double-checked

Any other flags or tips are greatly appreciated!
I was having the same problem using my integrated graphics, the screen would just turn black after booting up. Turns out it did actually boot up successfully, but their was something about the output that my dvi monitor didnt like. When I connected the HDMI port to my TV I could finally see my desktop.

yeah I hauled the tower up to the den and tried the TV via the HDMI earlier with no luck. I guess I could try that with my new string that gets me to a gray screen...

disconnected the SSD and the stick will boot with this string:

-x PCIRootUID=0 -f npci=0x3000 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

plugged the SSD back in and once again got to the install screen on the stick.

So unless this causes anyone to see hope for the drive, I'll install the OS tonight and go from scratch.

does the order of boot flags matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back