Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
To begin, here is my build:

Here are full specs:

Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
Processor: Intel i7 3770 Ivy Bridge
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 660 3 GB (currently removed)
Boot Drive: Samsung 840 PRO (dual boot 10.8.4 and Windows 7)

The system works flawlessly but only if I am running onboard Graphics and the monitor is connected to the DVI output of the motherboard. (Note: The HDMI port does not send a signal for whatever reason)

The issue is I have been trying on and off for 2 years now to install the GTX 660 graphics card with no luck. Similar to the MB HDMI port, the monitor states that there is "No Signal" even before I get to the Chimera boot screen. From looking through the forum responses to other Graphics cards, I have tried the following:

Having drivers installed

• GraphicsEnabler=yes
  • GraphicsEnabler=no
Not Having drivers installed

• GraphicsEnabler=yes
  • GraphicsEnabler=no
I have tried using every combination of 2 monitors and the 4 ports on the back of the GPU

To the best of my knowledge, it appears the only way to get a signal from my computer is the DVI port on the motherboard. Is there a way to fix this? Or am I missing a potentially easier solution. I have read a lot of issues with this GPU but also a lot of excellent results. I may elect to buy the GTX 760 that is the recommended build for this month, but I dont want to run into issues with that as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• GraphicsEnabler=yes
  • GraphicsEnabler=no

Boot flags are case sensitive - Get them wrong and they have no effect.

GraphicsEnabler=yes should be GraphicsEnabler=Yes
GraphicsEnabler=no Should be GraphicsEnabler=No

Good Luck

The 660 was problematic until 10.8.5, if I recall, any reason why you are staying on 10.8.4?

For the record you need GrahicsEnabler=No for it and before 10.8.5 you needed to install the nvidia drivers. After that it was natively supported.

Moving to the 760 would definitely require a upgrade from ML so why not try it for the 660 before committing to new hardware.

Boot flags are case sensitive - Get them wrong and they have no effect.

GraphicsEnabler=yes should be GraphicsEnabler=Yes
GraphicsEnabler=no Should be GraphicsEnabler=No

Good Luck

Thank you. I did not know about the case sensitivity. However, even when trying to use the aforementioned boot flags (now adjusted for capitals), I still have a black screen when turning on the computer when using the GTX 660. Just to add some clarity, it is a black screen from when I turn on the computer, not after reaching the Chimera bootloader. I know this was an issue with many others with various GPUs.

The 660 was problematic until 10.8.5, if I recall, any reason why you are staying on 10.8.4?

For the record you need GrahicsEnabler=No for it and before 10.8.5 you needed to install the nvidia drivers. After that it was natively supported.

Moving to the 760 would definitely require a upgrade from ML so why not try it for the 660 before committing to new hardware.

I believe it is because I only had 10.8.4 on my ML USB is why I have not upgraded to 10.8.5. I will try that and report back. Thanks again for the quick responses. Sorry for my delayed response

Update: I have updated to 10.8.5 and ran it for awhile before reattempting the install of the graphics card. So far, I haven't had any luck. When my CustoMac boots up, I still am greeted with a black screen. (No American Megatrends screen, no Chimera). It is because of this I think it is just the output from the computer. I looked through other online forums and found out that I can change my primary display output in the BIOS. Even with this option forcing display out of an GFX, I still am not getting a signal. I plan to have a friend try and install it in their PC to see if it works at all because I can not find any other solutions. I will update my situation soon.

Any advice or solutions are greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back