Graphics
ATI RX 590
Mac
  1. iMac
Specs:
Asus x99-A II
i7-5820k
Sapphire R9 270x

i can boot from the USB and get to the end of loading just b4 i should get redirected to the installation screen, then monitor lose signal/black screen.

i dont know what should i do, i've tried lots of solutions but nothing is working.
i've also tried the same config as my old El capitan USB but no-luck, below is the current config from the HighSierra USB, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• config.plist
    4.5 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
I have the same issue (using DVI-D) when using an installer USB. Somehow my direct upgrade completed with the screen turned off and High Sierra now boots fine. But when using the USB the screen turns itself off. I’ve copied all kexts and config.plist from my working HS device to the USB, But issue persists...

I have the same issue (using DVI-D) when using an installer USB. Somehow my direct upgrade completed with the screen turned off and High Sierra now boots fine. But when using the USB the screen turns itself off. I’ve copied all kexts and config.plist from my working HS device to the USB, But issue persists...

have u tried booting with safe mode ? , sadly on my machine using safe mode force the pc to auto-restart and i dont know where exactly to check the log for that boot attempt :banghead:

Specs:
Asus x99-A II
i7-5820k
Samsung 850 Evo SSD
Sapphire R9 270x

i can boot from the USB and get to the end of loading just b4 i should get directed to the installation screen then monitor lose signal/black screen.

i dont know what should i do, i've tried lots of solutions but nothing is working.
i've also tried the same config as my old El capitan USB but no-luck, below is the current config from the HighSierra USB, any help is appreciated.

In any monitor display problem the information required to suggest troubleshoot should include:
  • If the System has an add-on PCIE Graphics card, mention in the post, whether the problem presented occurred while the PCIE Graphics Card is used or the Integrated Intel HD is used for the monitor display.
    • Make and model of the PCIE Graphics[this is already given in your profile]
    • Intel HD Graphics Version:
  • What Monitor port is the Graphics connected to? HDMI? DVI? Display Port [Only digital connections works in modern macOS ]
  • CLOVER folder compressed as a file. [ This will help to find the contents of "kexts>Other" as well as the "config.plist " options chosen for the boot]

In any monitor display problem the information required to suggest troubleshoot should include:
  • If the System has an add-on PCIE Graphics card, mention in the post, whether the problem presented occurred while the PCIE Graphics Card is used or the Integrated Intel HD is used for the monitor display.
    • Make and model of the PCIE Graphics[this is already given in your profile]
    • Intel HD Graphics Version:
  • What Monitor port is the Graphics connected to? HDMI? DVI? Display Port [Only digital connections works in modern macOS ]
  • CLOVER folder compressed as a file. [ This will help to find the contents of "kexts>Other" as well as the "config.plist " options chosen for the boot]

- all of the "i7" cpus doesnt support integrated gpu
- the monitor is connected through Dvi converter as the monitor is Vga "works well on El capitan" unless that has changed in Sierra or High Sierra :O

and here are the efi & kexts

Attachments

• drivers64UEFI.rar
    318.4 KB · Views: 138
  • kexts.rar
    119.9 KB · Views: 146

Sorry but this just isn't true see here however that doesn't mean that your specific one for your chipsets have them. Now if you can get me your redsock_bios_decoder and radeon_bios_decode dumps from your Graphics card rom I will assist you with patching the frame buffer so you will have output with your card or you can rely on lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext to try to fix the problem.

Last edited:
- the monitor is connected through Dvi converter as the monitor is Vga "works well on El capitan" unless that has changed in Sierra or High Sierra :O

and here are the efi & kexts

the monitor is connected through Dvi converter as the monitor is Vga "works well on El capitan" unless that has changed in Sierra or High Sierra :O
All that I can comment on that is to quote apple source about its hardware for macOS High Sierra
Mac Hardware Requirements
For details about your Mac model, click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, choose About This Mac, then choose More Info. These Mac models are compatible with macOS High Sierra:

• MacBook (Late 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 or newer)
  • iMac (Late 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or newer)
None of them use VGA for display. I have not used any of my old LCD monitors with just VGA port and use a converter to test.
Since you are getting a Black screen, it is good to consider the possibility that the display connection might be an issue.

I have added "Lilu.kext" and "WhateverGreen.kext" to "kexts/Other" for a trial with your AMD Graphics. I am uploading that as a zipped file named "kexts.zip". You may unzip and install that and see if your Black screen will go away.

Attachments

• kexts.zip
    242 KB · Views: 206
I have added "Lilu.kext" and "WhateverGreen.kext" to "kexts/Other" for a trial with your AMD Graphics. I am uploading that as a zipped file named "kexts.zip". You may unzip and install that and see if your Black screen will go away.

many thanx for that, i have already tried them 3 times and nothing changed, also i have tried using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ guide "already added to config.plist" & another but cant remember where i got the info exactly which patch the ati controller from clover "working perfectly on El capitan" but with the same outcome.

but on another note, do you have any clue why would using safe mode on boot cause the auto-restart ?

Sorry but this just isn't true see here however that doesn't mean that your specific one for your chipsets have them. Now if you can get me your redsock_bios_decoder and radeon_bios_decode dumps from your Graphics card rom I will assist you with patching the frame buffer so you will have output with your card or you can rely on lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext to try to fix the problem.

WOOOOT, this is new to me, thanx for the headsup.

about the bios, can u give me a link to how i can extract them ? , i can get u the bios from gpu-z but not sure if this is what you want, also am currently using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ , isnt 270x natively supported by apple ?

WOOOOT, this is new to me, thanx for the headsup.

about the bios, can u give me a link to how i can extract them ? , i can get u the bios from gpu-z but not sure if this is what you want, also am currently using https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/radeon-compatibility-guide-ati-amd-graphics-cards.171291/ , isnt 270x natively supported by apple ?
You can use GPUZ from windows to get the rom file for your graphics card I typically use DPCIManager in macOS but hey to each its own. Now in all other versions beside High Sierra it was native but Apple has changed the graphics drivers a lot since they have been working on eGPU support. I had the same problem with my Radeon HD 7970. I always choose the patching frame buffer method rather than some injector kexts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back