Contribute
Register

No Retina Scaling Yosemite with Samsung U32D970 (3.8k display)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS X99-A II
CPU
i7-6850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Using a EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 card on a Asus p8p67LE driving a Samsung U32D970 (3.8k display).

I have tried both the DVI and HDMI ports on the card to the monitor, but I am not seeing the Retina scaling options in the Display system prefs.

Is there any way to force the Retina settings? I tried the hidden preference but that didn't do anything.

I had the same results with Maverick, but I just updated to Yosemite because I read it improves 4k support.

I'm too old to read text this small!!! Help!

I should have mentioned too that I have to specify PCIRootUID=1 and GraphicsEnabler=NO at the boot prompt or I get a gray screen with a frozen mouse - even though I have both of those settings in my .plist here are my settings. Weird?

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>PCIRootUID</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

I should have mentioned too that I have to specify PCIRootUID=1 and GraphicsEnabler=NO at the boot prompt or I get a gray screen with a frozen mouse - even though I have both of those settings in my .plist here are my settings. Weird?

OK - got this fixed with a clean install - but still not retina scaling options.

I see many monitors listed that run at the same resolution as my monitor (3840x2160) and even the smaller Samsung U28D590D (with the same resolution as my Samsung) in the October - so I surprised I can't get this to work.

Do I have to install a MacBook profile or something?

I would return my monitor for another - but - for all I know it could be my graphics card. It says it supports "Max Digital : 4096x2160". I recall reading that it only supported 3840x2160 at 30z but I can't find that now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

OK as far as I can tell - resolution scaling requires 60hz, and the U32D970 only supports 60z though the Display Port 1.2 connection and my GPU doesn't have a DisplayPort. Hopefully this helps someone else.

Alas I just ordered a GTX760. I think that should do it!

Any solution yet?

I need my 4k u28d590d resolution.

Thanks.

I ended up returning mine, so not that I know of.

I ended getting a DELL which cost a little bit less but with a much better quality stand. It was a hassle - but I like the Dell better. Much better menu too.

Just so you know, I have the 28" one and I do get the retina scaling, connected with displayport.

BUT, with this command you can get it with any screen:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

My 27" fullhd screen lets me scale to 960x540 (using FullHD resolution).

Cheers

Just so you know, I have the 28" one and I do get the retina scaling, connected with displayport.

BUT, with this command you can get it with any screen:

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

My 27" fullhd screen lets me scale to 960x540 (using FullHD resolution).

Any screen? That certainly did not work with the U32D970 - believe me I tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back