Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] No problems for months - I put the computer to sleep and now I can't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
CPU
Core i5-7600K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
Alright, so this is a really weird one for me. I've tried searching everywhere for a fix, but everything seems geared towards people who are having trouble booting for the first time.

I built my Hackintosh last December and got it working perfectly. I've been using it ever since, with virtually zero hiccups. The build:
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Ultra Gaming

• CPU: Core i5-7600K

• Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC

• Cooler: Corsair H60 (Water)

• RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (32GB)

• SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

• HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

• Power: Corsair RM 650x Watt

• Case: Corsair Carbide 300R
I'm on the latest macOS (10.13.6) and have the latest nVidia web drivers.

Earlier today, I was using my computer, and I put it to sleep (I do this every day at least once). A few hours later, I tried waking it up, and the computer itself looked "awake" (lights on and all that), but my monitor was not displaying anything. I held on the power button and rebooted. When I tried to boot into macOS, the screen went black again, at the very moment where the nVidia driver typically kicks in (the resolution changes at this point during booting).

I can boot into recovery mode, and I can boot into my Mac partition if I disable nVidia web drivers in Clover. If I boot with web drivers enabled, however, I get the black screen. The last thing I see before it goes black when booting in verbose mode is:

Code:
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0

Also probably worth noting is that Windows works just fine (including games!), so I don't think it's a problem with my video card.

Has anyone ever experienced this or does anyone have ideas? Why would this break all of sudden?

Things I've tried so far:
I'm struggling here. If anyone could help me, that would be amazing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Alright, last self-reply! I noticed other people on this forum attach their EFI partitions for other people to check out. Attached is mine. Really hoping someone knows what the issue is. I've been banging my head against the wall with this.

Attachments

• efi_partition.zip
    42.1 MB · Views: 50
Alright, last self-reply! I noticed other people on this forum attach their EFI partitions for other people to check out. Attached is mine. Really hoping someone knows what the issue is. I've been banging my head against the wall with this.
The structure of your /EFI folder is wrong.

1.png

Delete the /Clover folder and its contents :

Delete.png

Then move the /CLOVER folder :

Move.png

To here :

End.png

The structure of your /EFI folder is wrong.

View attachment 346627

Delete the /Clover folder and its contents :

View attachment 346628

Then move the /CLOVER folder :

View attachment 346629

To here :

View attachment 346630

Hey, thanks for the response. I think it might make more sense simple to delete the CLOVER folder, no? My kexts are all inside EFI/Clover, not /CLOVER. I always wondered what the latter folder was for, and I suspected nothing, but I never wanted to risk deleting it.

In any case, I somehow got it to work! I was looking through this thread and noticed some people had success with switching from HDMI to DisplayPort or DVI. I don't have either of those cables, but it got me thinking that it had something to do with HDMI specifically. Another person said that simply unplugging/replugging the HDMI cable during boot fixed the problem. That didn't work for me, but...

I'm not sure exactly what I did, but here's my hypothesis/memory of what happened. This morning, I tried turning on my computer and was getting no signal at all. I think that last night, I had unplugged the HDMI cable from my monitor (not the computer) and forgot to plug it back in. Today, I unplugged/replugged the HDMI cable from my computer multiple times in confusion, then unplugged/replugged the power cord from my monitor before realizing the HDMI cable was unplugged from my monitor. I plugged that in, and was welcomed by my macOS login screen in full resolution.

Now, I haven't restarted my computer yet, so I don't know if this is permanent, but it's a start...

This is a really weird problem in that it seems to have nothing to do with configuration or anything. It makes sense given I had changed nothing leading up to it, but I don't know why/how this would happen.

Edit: I restarted my computer, and everything booted normally. It looks like this is (hopefully) a permanent "fix." I hope this helps anyone who may run into this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back