Contribute
Register

No new 7,1 Mac Pro for sale until 2020 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Yet an even longer delay for the new Mac Pro. I bet that everyone who gave up on waiting for it and built their Hack Pro is glad they did. When Tom Boger said "it's a 2019 product" he may have meant that's the first you'll see it, not when you'll be able to buy one. If he had said, "The new Mac Pro will be for sale on August 1st, 2019" they would most certainly not have it ready by that date. It would really look bad. If Steve were still CEO he would say to those on the project, "Get it ready by August 1st or there will be hell to pay." Guess what, it would then probably be ready by 8/1/19.

excerpt from a Cult of Mac article....

Mac Pro launch date maybe in 2019, maybe 2020

Last year, Tom Boger, Senior Director of Mac Hardware Product Marketing, said “The Mac Pro is a 2019 product.” But Tailosive Tech claims its source says Apple might miss that self-imposed deadline.

“A lot of us are expecting it to come out in 2019. My source isn’t sure if that’s going to happen, but he can at least guarantee that there will be an unveiling of the modular Mac Pro at some point in the year. But when it could be available to purchase might be into 2020,” says the Tailosive Tech video.

A separate report earlier this week indicated that the next-generation Mac Pro will be previewed at WWDC 2019 in early June. That leak from inside the company doesn’t suggest the desktop will be released at that time, just shown off.

The wait has been long; the last significant update to the Mac Pro line was in 2013. Many professionals are surely hoping the next model is worth it.

Looks like a stack of Mac minis. This is one possible view of what "modular" means to Apple.

Last edited:
When I saw the YouTube video I couldn't help but marvel at Apple's ingenious propensity for making money. How else can they make a system that is modular, upgradeable, and yet proprietary and locked into the Apple ecosystem all at the same time?
  • If you want to upgrade the storage, you certainly can. But only from Apple. And only at Apple's prices for SSDs.
  • If you want to upgrade or add a GPU, you certain can. But only from Apple. And only at Apple's prices.
  • If you want to upgrade the CPU (the "Brain"), you certain can. But only by buying a new Brain module from Apple. And only at Apple's prices.
  • If you want to upgrade RAM, well, there you are free to buy from the open market at open market prices.
The modules are stacked using proprietary interconnect pins (some form of bus architecture). Eventually they can license the bus, but they can also impose certain non-compete clauses in the license agreement, where a third party may not sell an equivalent module at a substantially lower price than Apple.

It may be in Apple's interest to not license the bus at all, because that would make them liable for any problems that the overall system might face. If a customer calls Apple Care complaining about a problem with a system where modules A and B are from Apple and modules C and D are from companies Y and Z, Apple would not be in a position to help.

So modularity, in a stack-based system, does not imply open markets and open market pricing. The old Mac Pros had open buses (PCIe is an open standards bus) that definitely implied open markets and open market pricing. We had many GPUs to choose from, many SSD vendors, and many PCIe card vendors. We had a diverse set of PCIe cards that delivered a diverse set of capabilities. A stackable system with a closed proprietary bus negates all of that.

Seems that Apple has mislead us again. From news reports in 2018, it had sounded like they were really listening to what their customers wanted. There were reports that they had brought in, even hired as employees, professionals that use the Mac Pro to operate their business to advise in regard to it's development. The next Mac Pro would be fully modular and upgradeable by the end user. Would support Nvidia graphics cards and be somewhat more like the classic Mac Pro was in the latter 2000's is what I was led to believe. What the Cult of Mac article and the video suggests certainly sounds like Apple just being Apple.

If these predictions in the Tailosive Tech video are true, it seems like all of this will be another major letdown for Mac Pro users. We'll have to wait and see what they demo at WWDC 2019 in June. If it's another dreadful failure like the 2013 Mac Pro 6,1 I'm predicting that it will be killed off completely. Hollywood blockbusters will then have to be edited on an iPad Pro or maybe they'll just keep that 2010-12 Mac Pro going a little longer.

Last edited:
If the Mac Pro doesn't meet my expectations (I'd seriously just be happy with a cMP with updated internals) then I'm seriously done with Apple and their neglect for their pro customer base.

Ever since the death of Aperture, I've slowly weaned myself from macOS exclusive apps and never allowed myself to become too entrenched and dependent on them. I'm at a stage where I could just stop using macOS altogether and Mac hardware, but for now a Hackintosh is a decent alternative for the work I do at a value-for-money price point, plus I still do prefer to work in macOS if given the choice.

I'm not getting my hopes up about the new Mac Pro. I'm willing to pay a premium price for an upgradeable tower design with workstation-class components, but nothing less than that.

Apple's main focus is on the iPhone, with iPads next in line, then macs, then MacBooks and mac minis. I remember my dad wanted a new mac, and he was going to get a Mac mini, but then realized he shouldn't because the hardware hadn't been updated since 2013.

Sure enough, a month after he dropped the cash for the newest iMac, they released a 2018 model of the mac mini.
At any rate, if you're intent on having the most up-to-date hardware in your computer at all times, a macbook just doesn't do it unless you're willing to pay Apple prices for all of your upgrades.

Video by Dave Lee on the new Modular Mac Pro. I really doubt it will have any buttons, knobs or ports in the front. Other than that I think it's a spot on description of what it will be like. How they will cool a 20 core Xeon in an enclosure like the current Mac mini will be a real challenge. Can't wait for WWDC '19 on June the 3rd.

Last edited:
How they will cool a 20 core Xeon in an enclosure like the current Mac mini will be a real challenge.
maybe it will be a cool arm instead, or you will need to buy a cooling module o_O If you want to use its cpu with load

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back