Contribute
Register

No More CUDA In Premiere Pro...What now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Rog Strix z390- Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
With Cuda recently removed from Premiere Pro, I see no reason to stick with NVIDIA, 10.13.6, and my 1070SC.

Could those with experience weigh in on different GPU options for Premiere Pro in 2020?

I’ve seen videos comparing the 2080 and 5700XT for video rendering and see they are very close, but this is also in Windows where Cuda is still available for Premiere.
I’m wondering if it’s even close when comparing 10 series cards to current AMD offerings in OSX with opencl and metal and if it’s a negligible difference to switch from the 1070 currently.

Maybe give this a read through:

tldr of the help thing: if you’re using h264/hevc you will benefit more from having an igpu enabled for intel quicksync such as the UHD 630. This will help especially for exports.

For an amd card on osx, set your gpu rendering to Metal in your project settings. It’s mostly supported in-timeline effects which are accelerated by your video card.
Your actual video playback is more about your cpu/quicksync. The processor and video card work together During playback.
For exports, if you are using h264/hevc, there is 2 options in your export window. Software and Hardware Encoding. This only applies to whether quicksync is available for use in the export or not. If it’s available, you will be able to set it to ‘Hardware Encoding’ and your renders will use the igpu like a UHD 630 which processes h264 extremely fast. If quicksync isn’t available/enabled, you will have to use ‘Software Encoding’ which uses cpu cores and is maybe slower.

The more layers and effects you use, the more your video card helps out. If you’re exporting a single track without effects, the video card doesnt do much on export or playback

Your best options are a 5700XT or radeon vii. Or a pro workstation card i guess too

If your setup has a UHD 630 running as a headless igpu, either card is good. If you don’t/cant get igpu support on your hackintosh, maybe go with the 5700xt Because it has better hardware encoding support for bigger size h264/hevc up to 8k where the vii only supports up to 4k.

Not sure if the bigger frame size hardware support will help out in premiere at all, but it would help me out a lot on my 5.6k exports from the GoPro Max software

Most of my projects get rendered to prores from HEVC iPhone 4k 60 without effects. If anything its usually just lumetri.
At this point I've become obsessed with trying getting the IGPU working and quicksync working in premiere but have gotten stuck.

I seem to be able to get the IGPU to show up in intel power gadget, but I haven't been able to get it to show up in system report or get the option to use it in premiere. In the intel power it hovers at .1 AVG and never changes I also have issues with a black screen on boot unless I unplug HDMI.
Could honestly use some help with that with most of the guides being for newer than 10.13.6 ...

In regard to the GPU, I did read that a vega 64 has more stream processors than the 5700xt and uses HBM memory which could help more in premiere, but don't know enough to support that claim and the tests appear to show them pretty close. So if nothing else, I need to switch at some point to leave 10.13.6

I have also the same problem. Cuda was perfect, but now...
I'm using a 5600 XT and it so slow to export all PP projects, even if I add effects or not (sound effects and Lumetri generally).

I found this post => https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/premiere-pro-cc-very-slow-on-radeon-vii.296061/
A guy is talking about a specific kext RadeonBoost created on this German forum => https://www.hackintosh-forum.de/for...res-wie-am-echten-mac-unter-windows/?pageNo=1

I didn't try it because apparently it is not ready for my gpu...

[EDIT]
Could work finally => https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2110633

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back